What's new

panasonic gt50 v.s.st50. any thoughts?? (1 Viewer)

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
trying to decide between these two sets. Is the GT50 worth the extra $600. Also, I've never seen the GT50. Just going by reviews I've read. Any thoughts about buying from amazon? I'm a little nervous about making this big of a purchase from an online store.

Tacticalchunder

Auditioning
Real Name
T
Howdy,
I've owned a 55GT50 for about 3 days now and am in absolute love. I spent about 2 weeks bouncing back and forth between going with the GT50, ST50, or the samsung E7000/8000 series. It personally didn't take too long for me to eliminate the sammys, but i struggled a bit with the price difference between the ST and the GT. The reviews were solid on both so in truth I'm not sure you could go wrong with either set. Having spending hours annoying employees at the local best buy (i had them grab an open box BD player and hook it up to each tv so I could look at them both playing the same content) I felt like the GT had a better picture. For whatever reason, I just felt as though the ST was a little duller in crispness, and that real fine detail in some of the darker scenes was a bit washed out of the ST. I'm no expert by any means but I value my money and wanted to get the best set and this is what I went with. Having it in my home and pretty well calibrated (thanks to d-nice at HD junkies), i couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Good luck, either way you go i think you'll be happy. (and be sure to check online prices, good deals can be found!)

jmamhd

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan M
I have purchased the P60ST50 from amazon a few weeks ago. I can tell you that the service I received was top-notch. I ordered on Saturday and had the freight company call me Tuesday for Wednesday delivery (Pilot, then a local company).
I had an issue with the screen display/pq and contacted Amazon on that Friday. A replacement was at my house the following Wednesday. Amazon offers a 30 return/exchange program that the stick buy for new TV's. The also have a price match promo for 14 days after you buy from them. I saw that the price was lower at their store a few days later - emailed them and they credited my card $88. How can you beat that.

adicanada

Auditioning
Real Name
Adrian
Hi,
would you mind sharing the calibration settings for the GT50?
Thank you

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by adicanada /t/320369/panasonic-gt50-v-s-st50-any-thoughts#post_3956024
Hi,
would you mind sharing the calibration settings for the GT50?
Thank you

Adrian,

The "calibrated" settings from one TV do not translate to another display in another environment. Every display is different and needs to be calibrated/configured to match its particular environment. Plugging in someone else's settings is not much better than closing your eyes and ballparking with the remote control.

For basic DIY calibration, you should use a calibration DVD/Blu-Ray that will walk you through the basics. This won't get you a perfectly calibrated display (that takes a trained professional with expensive gear) but it will get you close.

Amazon has a number of good calibration discs available. Several of these are also available via NetFlix for a quick rental (digital video essentials and Avia).

TheaterGuy71

Auditioning
Real Name
a
You can't go wrong with either HDTV, although the ST50 seems to be the better value in my opinion (regarding picture quality, black levels, etc)...I would see which one I could find the better deal for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks