What's new

panasonic dmre55 NTSC recording problem (1 Viewer)

kathy_parsons

Auditioning
hi,

ive just got the above recorder, as it states it can record NTSC signals as well as PAL.

I have some NTSC vhs tapes i want to put onto dvd, they play fine through my video recorder and display fine on my tv (which is multistandard).

but when i tried to record them using the NTSC setting on the recorder, it only records in black and white. when i tried in in PAL just to see what would happen, i got the colour but the picture is shifted up.

i dont understand why its not working, when the recorder is switched off and the NTSC signal loops through from the video straight to the tv there is no problem.

i tested the file i recorded with the player set to NTSC by looking at the info on the pc, and it does show as an NTSC file, with the framerate etc all correct - so why no colour!!!!!!

annoying.

kath

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If the VHS tapes are pre-recorded, you have probably encountered a MacroVision copy protection issue. I own a Panasonic DMR-E80 (NTSC-only) recorder, and it will not even allow me to record if it detects MacroVision coming from the source VHS tape. Any VHS tapes without MacroVision protection record fine.

kathy_parsons

Auditioning
thanks for the reply scott. it wasnt a macrovision problem, the NTSC tapes i was trying to archive were unencrypted. ive since discovered it was happening due to the NTSC tape being outputted by the vcr as PAL60, which only a few recorders can handle. this was why i was losing the colour when i set the recorder to NTSC, since that's still on a PAL carrier in PAL60.

im now going to replace the panasonic with a philips dvdr610, which is one of the few that can accept a PAL60 signal in addition to true PAL or NTSC.

will post my impressions on the philips recording ability of PAL60 on friday, when ive had the chance to try it out.

kath

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks