What's new

Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder with 40gb HDD (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Actually that's a link to a different model...this is the HS2.

I just got it last night and thus far, I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Tim E

Auditioning
I would like to know if anyone has tried upgrading (hack) to an 80gb or larger drive... like TiVo. Can you delete the commercials before burning to DVD? Should I wait for the Toshiba RD-X2 (80gb) unit?

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
i am curious about the hdd hack as well as:

also, how good is the picture quality on the panny?
if quality doesn't suffer, since it's only 10bit/27mhz dacvs 999es' 14bit/108mhz dac, i will get it

CraigL

Screenwriter
Yes you most certainly can edit out whatever you like before burning. You can also copy and maste and mix things around a bit and burn them in any order you like. I haven't burned anything so I can't say anything about the picture quality of the burned discs. HOWEVER, I can say that the hard drive is FANTASTIC. I noticed no difference between the master and the copy. It actually DID look a little better. I have my digital cable going in S-video and the SVHS vcr going in component.

I haven't really had a chance to play since I got it last night and I'm still figuring out how it works.

Tim E

Auditioning
For kicks, I changed the hard drive out with a 20gb drive. It immediately formatted it and it did recognize the size and gave me half the time (makes sense). I then put a 80gb drive and it too was formatted immediately. It looks like it will only recognize or allows the 40gb capacity. To my dismay, when I put the original 40gb back in, it formatted it too. Any suggestions?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Can you copy a non-copy protected DVD to the HS2's hard drive from an external DVD player?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks