What's new

Panasonic DMR-E20 (fu*%##$! pixilization problems?!?!?!?) (1 Viewer)

Adam N

Agent
Greetings all,
I recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-E20 dvd recorder. I thought that this was "the answer". I hope that the problems I am having are the exception, and not the rule.
1.) Regardless of the recording speed, occasionaly I will get digital freeze (blockiness / pixilization, whatever you want to call it) throughtout the video. The audio is fine.
2.) When finalizing a disc, the machine will actually shut off, ruining the disc before it is finalized (has happened twice out of ten attempts)
3.) The machine will NOT allow me to make a duplicate copy of a dvd or videotape that I own, with no macrovision present in the source (it's my damn wedding video!) The machine simply tells me that this source is unable to be recorded.
I did a good bit of research before I made this rather costly investment, & I thought I was on the right track. Does anyone have any advice (other than wait for the next generation of recorders ... I WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT!):angry:
I will attempt to contact Panasonic's support personel in the next day or two. In the meantime ... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?:confused: :angry: :confused: :angry: :confused:
Thanks,
Adam

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Philips DVDR1000 (DVD+RW format) but I beleive I can offer some advice.

1) It's down to the poor quality of the source, I have the same problems trying to copy from vhs, therefore I dont. It's never been an issue recording from UK Digital Satellite tv, the results for anamorphic broadcasts (which most are) look 95% as good as the best DVD's

2) You should have bought the DVD+RW then you would be ok unless it switched itself off 1000 times, but really I cannot beleive anybody buys the DVD-R format as I thought from time to time we all made mistakes.

3) All I know is that with the Philips DVD+RW I can copy anything but pre-recorded vhs (I know why would anybody want to) so yes I can make back up copies of each and every DVD I own.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Adam, what blank media are you using? Is it the cheap $2.95 stuff from cdrecordable.com? A lot of people have been having trouble with that. I personally have had no trouble with the Apple DVD-Rs.

avsforum.com has a lot of E20 owners in the DVD/LD Hardware forum.

Alan Light

Stunt Coordinator
I have recorded roughly 300 DVD-R since I bought my Panasonic units four months ago, and I haven't had a problem recording a single one (knock wood!). I only use name-brand Pioneer, Sony or Verbatim. I haven't tried any of the $2.95 cheapies.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
I too have recorded around 50 dvd's since I got my Panasonic E20 recorder late last year. I also have found that this drive can be pickey with media. I ordered 30 of those $2.95 discs from www.cdrecordable.com and had nothing but problems from them (pixelization, player lockup, etc). So I returned them for a refund, and went back to using the brand I was before (and its been working 100% perfect again).
Before you return the player, I would try some good quality media. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks