Panasonic DMR-E20 (fu*%##$! pixilization problems?!?!?!?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam N, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Adam N

Adam N Agent

Greetings all,
    I recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-E20 dvd recorder. I thought that this was "the answer". I hope that the problems I am having are the exception, and not the rule.
    1.) Regardless of the recording speed, occasionaly I will get digital freeze (blockiness / pixilization, whatever you want to call it) throughtout the video. The audio is fine.
    2.) When finalizing a disc, the machine will actually shut off, ruining the disc before it is finalized (has happened twice out of ten attempts)
    3.) The machine will NOT allow me to make a duplicate copy of a dvd or videotape that I own, with no macrovision present in the source (it's my damn wedding video!) The machine simply tells me that this source is unable to be recorded.
    I did a good bit of research before I made this rather costly investment, & I thought I was on the right track. Does anyone have any advice (other than wait for the next generation of recorders ... I WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT!)[​IMG]
    I will attempt to contact Panasonic's support personel in the next day or two. In the meantime ... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Adam

2. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

I have the Philips DVDR1000 (DVD+RW format) but I beleive I can offer some advice.

1) It's down to the poor quality of the source, I have the same problems trying to copy from vhs, therefore I dont. It's never been an issue recording from UK Digital Satellite tv, the results for anamorphic broadcasts (which most are) look 95% as good as the best DVD's

2) You should have bought the DVD+RW then you would be ok unless it switched itself off 1000 times, but really I cannot beleive anybody buys the DVD-R format as I thought from time to time we all made mistakes.

3) All I know is that with the Philips DVD+RW I can copy anything but pre-recorded vhs (I know why would anybody want to) so yes I can make back up copies of each and every DVD I own.

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Adam, what blank media are you using? Is it the cheap $2.95 stuff from cdrecordable.com? A lot of people have been having trouble with that. I personally have had no trouble with the Apple DVD-Rs.

avsforum.com has a lot of E20 owners in the DVD/LD Hardware forum.

4. Alan Light

Alan Light Stunt Coordinator

I have recorded roughly 300 DVD-R since I bought my Panasonic units four months ago, and I haven't had a problem recording a single one (knock wood!). I only use name-brand Pioneer, Sony or Verbatim. I haven't tried any of the $2.95 cheapies.

5. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I too have recorded around 50 dvd's since I got my Panasonic E20 recorder late last year. I also have found that this drive can be pickey with media. I ordered 30 of those $2.95 discs from www.cdrecordable.com and had nothing but problems from them (pixelization, player lockup, etc). So I returned them for a refund, and went back to using the brand I was before (and its been working 100% perfect again).
    Before you return the player, I would try some good quality media. Hope that helps!