1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Player Thread

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by dpippel, Jan 3, 2017.

1. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    Thats odd, its usually the UHD discs that are a PITA with players.

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I had an update a few days ago. I will try it again.

3. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    Yeah, 1.69 was partially for "disc playability".

4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Anyone else having problems with the slow control when reverse?
    When I pause a film and use slow/forward it works fine in step increments.
    However it doesn't work in reverse at all from pause.
    Normal reverse still works fine.

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    From what I've read, this is a limitation of all 4K UHD players but I believe it only applies to playback of 4K titles. It should work with 1080p Blu-ray.

Bryan^H likes this.
  6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'm not sure what is going on with my player.
    I have had it since October, and it has performed perfectly, up until recently. I have been having odd issues where a random disc will not play--it either states "waiting" in a endless cycle, or registers 1:00 on the front display panel, and does nothing. I have had to unplug it, and reset to get the disc out.

It eventually will play the disc(Universal, Shout Facory, Lionsgate, all Blu-Ray, no UHD) but not until wasting about 10-20 minutes of my time fussing with it.

It's funny, I paid $80 for a Samsung BD player in 2009 that has never had problems vs. a $600 Panasonic that is Six months old and demostrating very finicky behavior forcing me to use my PS4 as my main player for BD. The oddest part about this is the Panasonic plays UHD flawlessly. Very strange.

7. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Sounds like a possible hardware problem Bryan. Maybe you should contact Panasonic support and see what they say? You're still within your warranty period.

8. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    Got an update today which gives it Amazon HDR, very cool. Output is BT2020 10 bit 4k/60 (mine is forced to 10 bit in the settings menu).

9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'm really torn on this player. when it works it is simply stunning (about 80 percent of the time).
    It has played every UHD flawlessly-every time. However playing normal BD's......
    It has issues playing discs. Tried watching a disc from Gotham season 3 simply would not play !loading screen, then lock up, and I unplug to reset it. tried again same result. One final time-nothing.

I put the disc in my PS4 and it played just fine.

I don't have the time to send it in for repair, Ill be buying an Oppo soon enough.

10. Message #30 of 33 Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Sorry that your Panny is giving you fits. Mine has performed flawlessly since day one. It's never met a disc, either Blu-ray or 4K UHD, that it didn't like.

Bryan^H likes this.
  11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Yeah, I would blame it on no Wi-Fi at my new house(about a month) so there are no updates I can give it. But it has behaved like this before with the latest updates locked in.

It is weird that both my expensive quite new TV, and quite expensive Blu Ray player have both had serious issues. Both less than a year in.
    I think the odds of that are probably absurdly high. I should play the lottery.
    Anyway my TV was repaired with a new board of some sort free of charge after I contacted Sony in about a weeks time. Has worked great ever since. i May call Panasonic this week to tell them my issues.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I would chalk your issues up to being an early adopter of new technology. Many of us have experienced issues with these new 4K devices. In my case, my old receiver was not compatible with my new Sony UHD player -- I experienced HDMI handshake issues which I never could resolve and ended up upgrading to a new Denon AVR. Then the Sony UHD player failed after about 5 months. Fortunately Sony handled the situation properly, and replaced the player completely on their dime (including shipping both ways).

Right now I am struggling a bit with my Roku Ultra. The most recent firmware updates have caused some issues with the Amazon Video app.

Bryan^H likes this.
  13. xd9000

xd9000 Auditioning

Mike grayson
    Hi All

Has anyone had issues with the fan on the UB900. Even though the player gets extremely HOT in the cabinet, the fan never runs. Supplier told me to do a full reset which I did and it spun for a second or so when it started back up, but again never since.

Any ideas.
    thanks
    Mike