What's new

Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Player Thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else having problems with the slow control when reverse?
When I pause a film and use slow/forward it works fine in step increments.
However it doesn't work in reverse at all from pause.
Normal reverse still works fine.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
From what I've read, this is a limitation of all 4K UHD players but I believe it only applies to playback of 4K titles. It should work with 1080p Blu-ray.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what is going on with my player.
I have had it since October, and it has performed perfectly, up until recently. I have been having odd issues where a random disc will not play--it either states "waiting" in a endless cycle, or registers 1:00 on the front display panel, and does nothing. I have had to unplug it, and reset to get the disc out.

It eventually will play the disc(Universal, Shout Facory, Lionsgate, all Blu-Ray, no UHD) but not until wasting about 10-20 minutes of my time fussing with it.

It's funny, I paid $80 for a Samsung BD player in 2009 that has never had problems vs. a $600 Panasonic that is Six months old and demostrating very finicky behavior forcing me to use my PS4 as my main player for BD. The oddest part about this is the Panasonic plays UHD flawlessly. Very strange.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sounds like a possible hardware problem Bryan. Maybe you should contact Panasonic support and see what they say? You're still within your warranty period.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Got an update today which gives it Amazon HDR, very cool. Output is BT2020 10 bit 4k/60 (mine is forced to 10 bit in the settings menu).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm really torn on this player. when it works it is simply stunning (about 80 percent of the time).
It has played every UHD flawlessly-every time. However playing normal BD's......
It has issues playing discs. Tried watching a disc from Gotham season 3 simply would not play !loading screen, then lock up, and I unplug to reset it. tried again same result. One final time-nothing.

I put the disc in my PS4 and it played just fine.

I don't have the time to send it in for repair, Ill be buying an Oppo soon enough.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sorry that your Panny is giving you fits. Mine has performed flawlessly since day one. It's never met a disc, either Blu-ray or 4K UHD, that it didn't like.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I would blame it on no Wi-Fi at my new house(about a month) so there are no updates I can give it. But it has behaved like this before with the latest updates locked in.

It is weird that both my expensive quite new TV, and quite expensive Blu Ray player have both had serious issues. Both less than a year in.
I think the odds of that are probably absurdly high. I should play the lottery.
Anyway my TV was repaired with a new board of some sort free of charge after I contacted Sony in about a weeks time. Has worked great ever since. i May call Panasonic this week to tell them my issues.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It is weird that both my expensive quite new TV, and quite expensive Blu Ray player have both had serious issues. Both less than a year in.
I think the odds of that are probably absurdly high. I should play the lottery.
Anyway my TV was repaired with a new board of some sort free of charge after I contacted Sony in about a weeks time. Has worked great ever since. i May call Panasonic this week to tell them my issues.

I would chalk your issues up to being an early adopter of new technology. Many of us have experienced issues with these new 4K devices. In my case, my old receiver was not compatible with my new Sony UHD player -- I experienced HDMI handshake issues which I never could resolve and ended up upgrading to a new Denon AVR. Then the Sony UHD player failed after about 5 months. Fortunately Sony handled the situation properly, and replaced the player completely on their dime (including shipping both ways).

Right now I am struggling a bit with my Roku Ultra. The most recent firmware updates have caused some issues with the Amazon Video app.

xd9000

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike grayson
Hi All

Has anyone had issues with the fan on the UB900. Even though the player gets extremely HOT in the cabinet, the fan never runs. Supplier told me to do a full reset which I did and it spun for a second or so when it started back up, but again never since.

Any ideas.
thanks
Mike

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My unit has been working perfectly since I did a hard reset on it many months ago. I am going to upgrade to a newer model with Dolby Vision. I looked on E-Bay, and there are used machines(some in much worse shape than mine) starting at over $900.

???

I don't understand why this is. The Panny 820 is superior why would anyone want a used years old model for so much money? Very confused.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Listing it on eBay for over $900 and actually selling it on eBay for over $900 are two very different kettles of fish. :)

John2474

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hi guys. I’m a newbie to this forum and not overly techie, but I wonder if any of you are able to answer a question I have regarding the DMP-UB900 as I’ve been unable to find an answer on the web.
I’m contemplating getting a NAS to run PLEX server. I have a collection of DVD’s that I would like to save on the NAS. If I upload them as uncompressed files and connect my UB900 to PLEX via DLNA, can the UB900 upscale them at all during playback?
I’ve been very impressed with the upscaling results when viewing 480p DVD’s on this player. The results on my UHD 4K OLED are very watchable, which surprised me. I’ve read that PLEX Server can’t upscale, so wanted to find out if the UB900 can do this from a DLNA source. If not, I fear the results of watching 480p films through PLEX on my TV will be very disappointing.
Any information or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks