What's new

Pan Am - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Whoever is writing this show, this was a bad "kitchen sink" episode.. everything possible goes on, the spy plot is way to long and drawn out, and the Kennedy chase was silly

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised the last two episodes had the majority of the action take place off the plane and in the destination country. But it makes sense as the show is about the adventure these ladies and crew experience. I thought the actress playing Colette is quickly standing out by her performance last night as her character experiences negative memories of Germany. An aspect of the times I didn't expect for these young characters, the memories from WW2. I'm curious what the repercussions are from Kate's action of saving her East German contact at the Embassy. Her handler seemed to imply some backlash will occur for that girl Kate helped to defect. Perhaps it undid a lot of hard work to set up that channel of information from the East German contact. As for how real such events took place for Pan Am stewardess's, I'll continue to suspend disbelief for a while longer. I liked Maggie's over the top wanton focus to meet Kennedy! And in the end, she got what she needed. It was interesting to learn how she had spent so much time volunteering for Kennedy's campaign. If this series makes it for 5 more months, since this episode took place June 26th, 1963, it will be interesting if Kennedy's assassination in November will be a plot in future episodes. Her character will surely be as deeply impacted as Colette was by her first visit to Germany. I liked how Mad Men used Kennedy's assassination as a catalyst for Betty, but I'm sure Pan Am will have a different take. I think the continued lush photography is great, the faux location sets of the German and French locations from last week were great. Even though I know it's not really those locations, it reminds me a bit of the stylized Hollywood films of the period depicting Europe.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
With Charlies Angels cancelled, I hope Pan Am is not next, it's ratings are nearly as low. But I think this show has potential. But perhaps the period piece is not for everyone.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Nelson Au said:
With Charlies Angels cancelled, I hope Pan Am is not next, it's ratings are nearly as low. But I think this show has potential. But perhaps the period piece is not for everyone.
It is NOT a period piece because the show is a revisionist view of how that time ACTUALLY was. Blacks would have been much less accepted, if at all. Women would be a lot more just sex objects for the guys and they would be less aggressive even during this time period. No, this is what happens which the PC types try to make a show from a time when the term politically correct didn't even exist. These women would be in the work force, but in no way treated anywhere like on this show either as it was breaking ground just to be in the work force more so now. It may have been a good show on cable like Starz, Showtime, etc. but it would also have to be a LOT more realistic in how events really were during that time. That's why shows like this always fail to the masses or at least those of us that have actually lived those times.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've lived through those times as well, but as a kid of course. I've experienced racism myself too, as kid. That's what sets Mad Men apart, it is a more realistic depiction of the era. But I also remember fondly the era of the 60's growing up. And I also enjoy the films of the late 50's and early 60's and it's stylized depictions of that era, while made in that era. that's what I see Pan Am as. A stylized view of the era, it's about the glamour. It's mindless fun romp. I totally agree a women like the one Christina Ricci portrays is likely a very rare women you'd meet In that era. And even if she did have her beliefs and attitudes, she'd likely be expressing them is a much more muted way. The attempted rape by the passenger sequence was a bit unrealistic. Would a stewardess at that time have actually stabbed him with a fork? The pilots of those planes would not be that young. But of course, this is prime time TV and they want young good looking people in those roles. Maybe they couldn't find someone who looked like George Clooney. :) I flew overseas on a Pan Am 747 in 1970. My memory of that flight is the stewardess giving me a pair of wings! That's a great memory this series brought back for me. I think I probably still have them somewhere. Plus the Pan Am bags.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Colette's speech at the end of last week's episode, about how she wanted to forgive during her visit to Germany but still cannot, was as memorable a moment in dramatic television as I've seen this season. As to how accurate the series portrays its era - I was just a kid in the 60s so I'm not the best judge. But for all those who believe there should be more racism and sexism - as I look around now, I see women being treated with less respect than a generation ago, not more. And it also seemed that when I was younger people in general were kinder to each other. Maybe all the aberrant behavior was just kept behind closed doors, rather than celebrated in the pop culture as it is now.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see that the show is beginning to address the pilot's and their backstories. Some of the dialog felt like the writers responding to criticisms regarding the age of the pilots but I am still happy to see some effort being put into developing those characters. I would strongly agree with Nelson that the show is attempting to recreate the style, fun, and nostalgia for the period with no attempts at realism. That spirit of fun, adventure, and (perhaps) discovery are the main hooks for me with regards to this series. - Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
To quote Siegfried from Get Smart where his line is a spoof of a famous airline ad, "Leave the spying to us!" Looks like this storyline of Kate and her CIA activities will continue to be a larger part of the stories. And the toll it takes on her is pushing her sister away. I'll play along with this aspect of the show. Maggie is quite the spirited girl with many experiences to pass onto Laura as she experiences more. The bit with the pilots and the explanation of how Dean became Captain works for me. Too bad for Ted. That was interesting that he was bucking for a shot at being an astronaut. A rather appropriate goal for someone in his role as a navy test pilot at that time He's not had much luck so far. The CGI this week wasn't bad, the shots at the poolside in Rangoon looked fake to me, but pretty well done. The landing in Hong Kong almost looked like a video game. Better then V had last season. David, Colette's speech was a powerful moment for the series. And Walter, i guess those discovery aspects you mention will be seen through Laura's eyes. I forgot to add, if this series survives a whole season, it ought be a candidate for nominations in art direction and costume design. Maybe even hair and make-up. I thought they've been pretty lavish in their set design work of the countries they visit.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't understand why she does they spying at all. Are they compensating/paying her anything for all the risk?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Patriotism? I haven't seen the latest, but it should be noted that this stewardess spying stuff apparently really happened.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Patriotism was what I thought too. I also read an interview with the former Pan Am stewardess who is the technical advisor and she said the CIA really did work with Pan Am since they flew to places that gave them access the CIA could not have without being obvious. She also said she actually experienced the situation with the fork that is depicted by Maggie. When the passenger assaults her. What I found funny is she has to not only teach the actors how they behaved and how they would actually serve a passenger coffee, but that the majority of the writers were not born yet. So she is relating stories and also explaining that people of the era were much more polite and acted with much more civility then they do now. Of course for the sake of drama, there have been sequences that cheat a little.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
No, this is what happens which the PC types try to make a show from a time when the term politically correct didn't even exist.
No, this is what happens when writers try to write certain stories. Don't turn this into a pc thing. By the way, it's not "pc" to treat people with some respect etc. That's called being a decent person. No doubt, all of the issues were more common than depicted, I bet if any of us tried to write these stories, you got to pick your battles. Only so much can fit into the script and how it fits is important. Just because the depth of the show is shallow does not make it any less of a "period" show. It's not 2011 on that show.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I watched last week's episode last night. Very enjoyable. They seem to be capturing the period pretty effortlessly now, without simply relying on music like a lot of period shows. The Pan Am terminal looks beautiful, and the hotel room in Jakarta really felt like something out of an old Bogie movie (which would have been earlier than the '60s, but it's all good). I like the backstory on the co-pilot. Also, I went into this being into the blonde, but now I'm all about her sister. Va-va-va-voom! :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, didn't think much of the redhead in the beginning, but they've been adjusting her make-up (her eyes really sparkle now), and letting loose her girls in recent episodes, and having a grand adventure as a spy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Greg, That green dress was pretty va-va-va-voom! :) I agree Pat about the make-up. They also tweaked the make-up and hair on all of them and especially for Colette. I like how the last few episodes they are shown flying to different cities, like a Euro tour trip. They continue to really impress visually with set dressing and photography. I love to see the cars. I hope they won't continue to short change Colette and Maggie, but I suspect they needed to sort out the sister's storyline. Colette did have her chance to shine a few weeks ago. Looks like Maggie will be a focus next week. I wasn't sure I bought the storyline of Captain Dean and the Pan Am VP's wife. Seems like career suicide!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I chose to watch Blue Bloods last night instead of Pan Am, so I haven't seen the green dress yet. Darn. It's good to hear that reaction seems to be positive. Every time I put off watching this show, I catch up and wonder why it took so long. Unfortunately, ratings continue to plummet. :(

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I like the show for a number of reasons, mostly in how they bring out the period. However I'm at a point now where I don't really know what the shows really about. And if I'm not identifying with the show, that's not good.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If I read it, the dive in ratings seems to have leveled off, using the puns of zap2it. The premiere of the new show at 8 did well and brought Desperate Housewives up, but didn't pull Pan Am up with it. That's a very apt description Paul. The show may not have a reason other then the lives of these people as they travel the globe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks