1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PAL "Fellowship of the Ring" audio distortion.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Sidebotham, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Mark Sidebotham

My last few viewings of the PAL DVD of Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition have been spoiled by some slight audio distortion. I notice it most in the dialog, especially when the letter "s" is spoken. There are also some small 'blips' in the audio tracks at times. I hear these both on the Dolby and the DTS tracks.

My other DVDs are all fine, including the non-extended Fellowship DVD and The Two Towers Extended Edition, both which I both possess the code 1 versions of.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can I assume that I happen to have a faulty one-off DVD? In which case I'll go out and buy a new one (NTSC this time).

Any helpful comments would be much appreciated.

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...could/would the "blips" you mention be a result of the PAL DVD having been pitch-corrected
    (as it reportedly was)...?...

. . . [​IMG] . . .

3. david stark

david stark Second Unit

I've got the PAL version of the fellowship extended DVD. I haven't noticed it happening anywhere, is there any specific scene where it is very noticable so I could have a quick listen?

4. Mark Sidebotham

One place I notice the 'blips' is in the moments after Gandalf's fall when there's a very pure vocal line hitting those hight notes. It's not hugely noticable and I didn't notice it until I got my home theatre system, but now it really spoils that beautiful moment.

I notice it also at scene no.20 where Gandalf whispers to the moth atop the Tower of Orthanc.

I didn't know the PAL veresion was reportedly "pitch-corrected". I'm not sure what that means, but you could be onto something...

Thanks for you responses.

5. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

I have the region 2 copy of the theatrical version, and I also noticed these blips, in pretty much the same scenes. The pitch correction was applied to try to account for the 4% PAL speed-up (which I never notice anyway), and unfortunately introduced sound artifacts in the process.

6. Mark Sidebotham

Thanks for the info Iain. I'm comforted to know it's not just me.

Well I remedied the situation today by buying the code 1 Extended Edition and it sounds fine. (It was also a good excuse for me to get the Argonath sculptures too!)

I'd never heard of this pitch-correction thing, but I'll have to buy the code 1 version of The Return of the King when it comes out to be on the safe side.