What's new

Pack rat? (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I guess I just fail to see the reasoning behind that kind of living. She has become a victim of her own house.
Why doesn't she build a shed? Better yet, why doesn't she get some help for hoarding? Where is your life when you are at that state?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've seen a few of these collections of pictures on the internet. People have this hoarding disorder. At least this lady doesn't horde old pizza boxes and plastic wrappers and bananna peels and stuff (like some people that have the disorder worse).

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
A few comments (because you all love when I talk about stuff, right?)

*If I owned that house, and wanted to clean it out: The cost of trash removal, as calculated by the number of times I could fill and empty a 10x8x6 rented dumpster at $400 a pop would easily cost more than I make in a YEAR.

*This is a suprisingly (to some) common occurence, and I'm sure most counties have at least three such houses. In one case the occupant died, and nobody found the body for 6 months. It was a combination of A: The mummifying corpse didn't smell any worse than the rest of the house, and B: The few times people tried unsuccessfully to check-in on the person, they gave up after a few hours of not being able to get inside.

*I'm glad I can't smell the house over the internet

*Xerox paper must be cheap, no?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
If there were a fire she would have no chance of survival.. no firefighter should be forced to rush in to try save her.... .

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In high school I knew two guys whose mother's were very similar - though perhaps not QUITE as bad. Stuff ALL OVER the house, but back then there wasn't eBay so all their stuff was acquired at garage sales (I would hate to think what would happen if they got on the Internet). I never asked why they kept all that stuff, but after spending enough time hanging out I figured out that in their minds they thought the items were worth collecting and valuable. It was a puzzle to me and I tended to associate their collecting those things with their lower socioeconomic standing and a desire to "win the lottery" but based on "antiques" and "collectibles" (I imagine "Antiques Roadshow" has only encouraged this line of thought). I have packrat tendencies too, as do my parents, but we also value space to actually LIVE.

I feel sorry for the son. He needs to graduate soon or at least go live with his grandmother (who I assume is not the same way).

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The picture of the one bathroom was shocking in it's lack of clutter.

I wonder if she's got anything good.

Wouldn't you love to be the one who has to deal with this after she passes away.

I've seen people on that Clean Sweep show who are every bit as bad as this. You just know that in a short while they'll be knee deep in it again.

Cluttered home, cluttered mind.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My mother is similar. She doesn't go out and aquire things.. she just saves everything. For example, she's got every little thing I brought home from art class at school when I was a kid... or any of my brothers brought home for that matter. I've got 6 brothers... so there's lots of stuff. Couple that with things my parents have collected in their travels, some of our old toys, magazines and pictures.. oh, the pictures!

The house is cluttered... but it's more of an eclectic clutter rather than a "hoarding clutter" like in those pictures. My parents house is definitely interesting to look around in. Where else can you still find an original "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" sticker on an olive green refrigerator (next to a Princess Leia sticker, mind you). Also, we have an entire set of these little monster figurines from "Freakies" breakfast cereal from the 70's all lined up on top of one of the door frames.

We tease my mom that if there's a flat surface in the house, she'll set something on it.

I grew up with clutter, so I don't see it as wierd. In fact, I don't really see it at all. It drives my wife crazy because she sees it and I don't.
smile.gif

I'm probably not easy to live with... I think I'll go buy her some flowers.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
My mom tends to keep the dumbest things as well, using the same argument of how they are "valuable." When she goes to the store she will buy two copies of every stuipd disney movie, one for her house for when the grandkids visit, and one to take on the road when she goes to visit them. WTF????????? I guess she is afraid of leaving one behind, then not having it when they visit. Cuz you know, a trip to Grandma's isn't complete without watching The Little Toaster 8 times......

As for collecting valuables, right, that is why someone was selling them for $2 in their front yard. Luckily she isn't as bad as this lady's house, but I could see her getting out of hand if we didn't keep her in check to some degree.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Aren't there organizations that will do something with this person? I mean, they take away children from unfit parents, so why not take homes away from unfit homeowners???

It's shockingly sad.
frown.gif

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"The cats are under the couch, in a box labelled "cats from Ebay"."

Not while I'm eating please
biggrin.gif

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks