What's new

PA systems and power (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm looking at these PA products for a co-worker and am a bit puzzled by their power ratings and the crowd coverage claims.

http://www.anchoraudio.com/products.lasso

For example, all the products up until the top model are rated at 50 watts. Even the one labeled for 2000 people! The top of the line then jumps up to 130 watts (and for a pretty penny I might add).

Am I missing something because this is for voice amplification and therefore not as demanding? Is there an integrated product (combining amp, speaker and wireless mic reception) that would be better?

I know this isn't home theater per se, but I appreciate any assistance.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think the products are way over stated...

But, if the crowd is quiet, it may be ok. I mean if the crowd is quiet you can almost speak loud enough to be heard anyways.

I'd at least use them in pairs for their stated maximum stated performance.

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Cameron,

I'm a sound engineer and system designer for an A/V integration firm. If you want to drop me a line and discuss the application that you'd need these for, just pm me here or drop me a line at [email protected] I'd be happy to make some suggestions

Brad Woodhouse
Edina, MN

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The use is very basic - an all-in-one unit (what I meant by "integrated," though I may have inadvertently used an industry buzzword) that one person can transport and set up having minimal technical knowledge. Audience no larger than a couple hundred. A truly portable, "personal," public address system.

From a casual perusal Anchor Audio seems to be well regarded. I haven't had a chance to hear and operate for myself.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I did sound re-enforcement for over a decade, but never for this type of application. Mine was live band performances.

But like I say if it is a crowd of people that are there to listen to you speak, so they are quiet, then I would think this may work ok...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Audience being quiet is a serious factor. I've only done basic sound reinforcement with a modest system and learned very quickly it's hard to compete (at least with the gear I used) with a gym full of teenagers who have no interest in being quiet.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, for that application, you need power and horns!!!!

To get their attention if nothing else.

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Cameron,

Also check out Fender Pro Audio. They make a little unit called the Passport system. It seems pretty idiot proof. They make at 250W unit which is pretty reasonable and you can buy additional speakers for more coverage. I sold a dozen of them to a guy who was working for a world hunger organization that did work in the Phillipines. He claimed that the 250W system with four speakers covered 1500 people with no problem. I'm a little skeptical of that since I'm used to covering that many people with 16 EAW line array cabinets and 10Kw of power. To each his own I guess!

John S

Senior HTF Member
No kidding Brad,

From a sound live music re-enforcement angle, I'd do 1500 people and the venue to hold that many with about 10k total.

Once you get to 5000 people and the sized venue to hold that many, I am usually pushing closer to 20k, and that usually holds up decent until you get over 10,000 people, once you get over that size, the sky is the limit, and the more the better.

I don't really do it much any more, but I used to have 3 large racks full of QSC amps, must of been nearly 20 in total, they ran 2KW each bridged. I think I have sold most of them off now. I kept 3 of these old URI amps, and only do limited re-enforcement these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks