What's new

Outlaw 950 or Yamaha RX-V1400. Which one would be a better pre/pro (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
6 Months ago, the 950 would have made the better pre/pro. Today, the RX-V1400 has pulled into the spotlight with all of the setup options - and DPL IIx.

I wonder when Outlaw will announce their next (revised) pre/pro?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but what are other options for inexpensive pre/pros?

No practical experience, but on paper, I must say that the Yamaha 1400 looks damn good with all its options. And it looks cool. Smart looks are important for gear in my rack.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
I am skeptical regarding the sound quality of the 1400. It is meant to serve as a cheap A/V Receiver, not a preamp. I like the EQ feature, but my experience of hearing it play movies directly at the dealers was not encouraging. YMMV.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
hmmmmmmm....that is actually a tough one. I would probably go with the Outlaw if I had the cash to get a good 5 or seven channel amp, or mono blocks. If I didn't I would go with the Yamaha and get a good 2 channel amp and maybe a matching quality mono block for my front three (or 3 mono's for that matter) and use the amps in the yamaha to take care of surround duty. I would then have all of the latest features plus good powerful amps. Really it would just depend on my cash at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks