What's new

Outlaw 950 interface questions (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I have some interface questios about the 950. I don't know if there is even enough information yet available to answer my questions.
Pardon me if these questions have been covered before...I'm just now learning about this pre/pro.
1. Is there an On Screen Display (OSD)?
2. Is set-up and other information available on the display too?
3. If there is an OSD can it display via the component output?
4. Can you assign custom names to the various inputs? -or are you stuck with "video 3"?
5. I assume you can assign a primary surround format to use with any input (as you can do this with most receivers). How accurate is this feature on the Outlaw? My current receiver gets confused quite often and defaults to stereo without warning.
6. Can you assign custom volume levels to the various inputs?
7. Are the remote codes discreet? -any word on Outlaw providing discreet codes for Pronto users? -or are the set-up menus simple enough to make discreet codes unnecessary?
8. How does the display look from your seating position? I know this is a stupid question but I've found the Denon displays far too small. I'm kind of partial to the Elite and Yamaha displays as they are large, crisp, and full of good info. Can you dim the display?
9. Can my wife use it? :)
Thanks in advance,

J

John Morris

1. Is there an On Screen Display (OSD)?
Yes, through the composite and S-video monitor connection.
2. Is set-up and other information available on the display too? Yes, everything you can see on the OSD is available on the 950's front panel too.
3. If there is an OSD can it display via the component output? No, overlaying the OSD on a high def signal can degrade the high def signal. Only a very few, very high end, very expensive preamp/processors currently do OSD on component outputs.
4. Can you assign custom names to the various inputs? -or are you stuck with "video 3"? Nope, no assigning real names.
5. I assume you can assign a primary surround format to use with any input (as you can do this with most receivers). How accurate is this feature on the Outlaw? My current receiver gets confused quite often and defaults to stereo without warning. - Yes, default modes are available for each input but, the 950 will also autosense what the incoming signal's mode is and change accordingly. EX - even though your DVD input is set to DD as default, it will change to DTS if DTS and not DD is inputted.
6. Can you assign custom volume levels to the various inputs? Hmmm, I forget about this one, but I know it has been answered elsewhere on HTF. Search this one.
7. Are the remote codes discreet? -any word on Outlaw providing discreet codes for Pronto users? -or are the set-up menus simple enough to make discreet codes unnecessary? Yes, they are discrete but I don't know about use in Prontos. I have a MX-500 and it easily learned all the controls from the Outlaw remote.
8. How does the display look from your seating position? I know this is a stupid question but I've found the Denon displays far too small. I'm kind of partial to the Elite and Yamaha displays as they are large, crisp, and full of good info. I only sit 5 feet away and it is easily readable from there. Can you dim the display? Yes you can.
9. Can my wife use it? No, absolutely not! :D

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Thank you John. I just found and read the big thread about the 950. Sounds very impressive.

BTW, I think the Elite 49TX can output the OSD through the component out.

J

John Morris

BTW, I think the Elite 49TX can output the OSD through the component out.
Camp: Does the 49TX do true OSD, or does it just overlay a 480i blue screen OSD over the 480p or 1080i program material. Most(all?) OSD generators are only 480i and so to provide OSD through Component outputs, a full screen overlay must be momentarily projected, which replaces/covers the program material. That is how the Lexicon MC-12 does it. I've seen it on the MC-12 and if I owned that unit, I'd turn it off after setup. For the last month, I've actually not used any video switching on the 950... and have not missed the OSD since the front panel display of the 950 is very easily readable from my seating area.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you're right, John. I too doubt the Elite outputs the OSD in true 480p.
However, it does allow the user the ability to view the OSD through component connections. Doing so in 480p would just be showing off, IMO. :)
You're also probably right about the utility of the OSD. If the panel display is as good as you say it is there would be no need to use the OSD. I just realized I haven't even seen the OSD on my h/k AVR7000 since I initially set it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks