What's new

Outlaw 950 - how will it sound? (1 Viewer)

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Do you guys expect it to sound like a $2000 or even $3000 preamp or do you think that its sound will be nothing special?
Razvan

J

John Morris

Matthew: I'm gonna assume you are being sarcastic.
wink.gif

To me, I just want a unit that is sonically invisible in two channel music listening and impactful, yet still clean, for 7.1 movie watching.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

What kind of silly question is this?
The Outlaw has an introductory price of $899. As far as I am concerned it will be an absolutely OK deal if it is worth $899.
My biggest problem as a 'buyer' over the years has been that goods aren't even worth what one spends!!
If you are also proposing that Outlaw violates the 1. Second Law of Commercial Thermodynamics and 2. takes the star role in 'Santa Claus Comes to Town' and
they deliver a product that is worth - say $1200 - my hat is off to them.
But if they are also to violate the Third Law of Commercial Dynamics and it is worth $1500, $2000, $3000 - then I will write the Norwegian parliament and propose a new Nobel prize classification!
[Edited last by Bill Turetsky on November 08, 2001 at 08:21 AM]

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
John,
My sentiments exactly. Years ago, I bought a conrad johnson preamp with phono section that revitalized my interest in vinyl. I've since bought another phono only preamp (NYAL Superit) and although I'm running it through a line level input in the cj, I wonder what the tubed Super-it would sound like through a good passive line stage--which is my hope for the analog bypass section of the outlaw. Outlaw by now has chosen and presumably sent 5 (only?!) beta testers 950's to evaluate. My hope is that at least one of them is actually evaluating this thing as an analog "switcher". I say switcher, as I don't believe that there is actually a gain stage in the analog bypass mode, so it really isn't amplifying a signal, just passing it from input through volumn control to output. I have questioned outlaw about the quality of the volume control. There response was over my head. I'm used to dealing with analog potentiometers and fixed resistor attenuators, but their discription of volume control did not fit that area--although they claimed that it was "analog". I can't find their email to me detailing the vol control, but I posted it a while ago. Let's hope that it is as transparent as they feel that it will be.

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
I don't think that this is especially a silly question, given that Outlaw deals direct and doesn't have the associated costs involved that other conventional vendors have. They may also choose to emphasize certain design or production features that cost them less to implement that one may or may not appreciate. For instance, rumor has it that the remote will be the relatively inexpensive Rat Shack $30 part as opposed to whatever the "high-priced spread" manufactors use. They might pinch a few pennies on the case in order to deliver more goods on the inside also. I suppose it depends on what one's priorities are, but it's hardly a silly question...

My attribute of 'silly' was more to what I thought was a continuous thread that Outlaw is operating with radically different parameters and 'laws of commercial physics' than everyone else and is supposed to wave a Magic wand and products WORTH $3000 are to be expected to cost $899.
(Amazingly they often do :) )
But web selling is no elixir in and of itself. dealers often end up with no more than 5-10% GROSS!
What we should always be looking at is if the money (manufacturing costs) is spent in the RIGHT place - or that RIDICULOUS amounts are spent to create exclusivity rather than actual performance (à la Tag-McLaren)
And that's where I think Outlaw is on the right track!
[Edited last by Bill Turetsky on November 08, 2001 at 08:43 AM]

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
I think that we are on the same wavelength now. I agree with you regarding your comment about where the money is spent in a product determining it's overall worth and cost. While some may want thick expensive RCA jacks that can really boost the end production cost, I'd rather see a lesser but fully functional jack used that will likely represent 99% of the value and maybe 50% of te cost. Just one example, but you get the idea. It does seem like Outlaw is on the right track, designing the highest quality that they can within reasonable cost constraints for the masses.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
To me if its sounds like what a $2500 receiver would sound like using my amps it's SOLD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks