Denon 3805 vs. Outlaw 950 for Pre/Pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Edwin_H, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

Jan 4, 2003
    I'm looking for some opinions here. Here's my current setup:

Outlaw 950/750 Combo
    Denon DVD5900
    Rocket Loudspeakers(750s,200,300s)
    SVS PC Ultra

Now I've seen the specs on the Denon 3805 and it intrigues me. I like the idea of the Auto EQ and even more I like the idea of using the Denon Link for DVD-A with my 5900. In terms of sound quality for movies, I'm not sure how the Denon and Outlaw would compare. Before the Outlaw I had a Denon 2802 and I think the Outlaw's surround processing kicks the crap out of the 2802. That being the case, would it be a wise choice to sell the 950 and get the 3805 and pair it with the Outlaw 750 amp?? Does having Auto EQ make a big difference? Just looking for some opinions here. Thanks!

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Jan 17, 2002
    IMO the Outlaw is less of a compromise and is absolutey designed to be used with an amp. But this is not to say that the Denon might not work just as well. I personally use a receiver as a pre and beleive I'm giving up little or nothing over a standalone. If you have the oppertunity to try the Denon out, do it. I can easily see your point ala the connection of your 5900.
  3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Jun 11, 1999
    It all depends on how good a pre-amp section the 3805 has by itself. If it's as quiet or quieter than 950 (which I have myself) and gives a more detailed sound quality, then YES use a 3805 as a pre-amp since it has far more features and now ProLogic IIx.

There have been good comments about the auto calibration system, but you still have to fine tune it slightly.

It still remains to be seen if the internal DVD-Audio decoding is as good as, or better than, or worse than using the player's own decoding and 6 analog cords to the receiver via 5.1 analog bypass. I would think the Denon 5900 player has much better DAC's than the 3805 given its high end stature, and using the 3805 would be going backwards in that regard.