What's new

Outlaw 950/Atlantic Technology P-2000/Sherbourn PT-7000 (1 Viewer)

BruceD

Screenwriter
And I can't even claim it was late at night and I was tired!!

Oh well, guess I'll shut-up now.

Thanks Nick.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Nick- Primare is a new manufacturer I'm seeing some rumblings from now. They have a pre/pro too and are based on Finland. I wonder if there's any connection? ;)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
from a sound and vision review, april 2003 issue,

"All of this was starting to seem familiar when it occurred to me that the Sherbourn preamp/tuner is funadamentally the same (other than the name on the faceplate) as the Outlaw Audio Model 950 that I reviewd in the July/August 2002 Sound & vision (available on our Web site in the Equipment Reports Archives). However, Sherbourn points out that there are important distinctions. For instance, the PT-7000 uses more costly capacitors selected for low leakage and low ESR (effective series resistance) and more expensive, higher performance op amps in its audio circuits, said to combine for enhanced resolution and low-noise dynamics.

I verified these internal differences, and the PT7000's lab measurements were indeed slightly better than the Outlaw/s in several regards...."

However the reviewer never says if there are real world differences are not.

Rich

Nick V

Second Unit
The following statement on Primaire's web page leads me to believe that the Parasound Controllers and the Primaire are not directly related.
Some companies even choose to avoid the complication and outright expense of including high quality video switching altogether, so as to concentrate solely on audio processing. This was not the case for the design team at Primare responsible for producing the SP31.7 multi-channel processor. Led by Michael Bladelius, having already designed a number of well-regarded processors, they knew that to participate in the heritage of the highest standards for performance and value, the SP31.7 would have to be more than a full featured remote controlled multi-channel processor.
Also, the Primaire has no THX post-processing. I'm not sure what chips the Primaire uses though, they may be similar to those used in the Parasound controllers?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Rich- The 950 that S&V tested was from an early batch that had known problems with hiss. So for them to say that a later Sherbourn unit had better measurements means nothing. Not apples to apples.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

While I agree that your statement is true, at it does not make the test conclusive. Just given the fact that only one of each was tested makes the comparison subject to sample error and inhibits any conclusive statements.

However, I believe Outlaw said less than 2% of their initial batch actually suffered from the hiss problem and the rest were fine. One would think that the reviewer would have noticed the hiss problem. Maybe not.

Rich

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Rich- The unit that S&V tested came from the very first batch. It did hiss. The original batch exhibited hiss in a lot of systems. That's why they stopped shipping for something like 6 months (March to Sept '02 or something).

BTW, the correct statement is:

The *2nd* version, the red dot (era) 950, exhibited hiss in 2% of systems. Every 950 in that time had the potential to hiss. It depended on the speakers and amp(s) that it was mated to in terms of whether that hiss was evident or not.

Not apples to apples.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I thought Outlaw said they didn't send any of the first units out to reviewers because they were behind on shipping and couldn't meet pre-orders....

Rich

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If you back calculate from when the issue came out, S&V could have only gotten a 1st batch model. Mags have something like a 2 - 3 month lead time, even in this day and age. :)

Got the exact dates: July/Aug 2002. In real time, that is even *before* the red dot (era) units were shipping, and in magazine time, that is roughly April - May, and they they must have had the unit for even at least a few weeks before that. 1st batch.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
There is an excellent review of the 950/770 combo in the upcoming June issue of DVD ETC. Check it out.

Parker

BruceD

Screenwriter
Kevin,

OK, it's official (see AVS).

The Fosgate FAP-T1 is an EastTech based product, so you were right on the money, good deduction.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the 950 will start getting some credibility now that somebody dressed it up and sells it for 3 times the price. I know they upgraded some parts but as far as the specs go, its pretty much dead even.

BruceD

Screenwriter
My questions about bass management issues with the FAP-T1 regarding 2-channel bass doubling and 180 degree phase reversal of multichannel analog versus digital bass filters still goes unanswered from Fosgate, even though they have answered the core question about EastTech lineage.

PhilipD

Auditioning
I apologize for reviving a 6-month-old thread.

Seems like the Outlaw Pre/Pro is the choice based upon price point, unless the extra 10Mhz of bandwidth in the Sherbourn is worth $700? Comments?

My question is whether the Sherbourn 7x200W amp for $2850 is the same as the Outlaw 7x200W amp for $1700?

Thanks,
Phil

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator
The Sherbourn pre/pro street price is at most $200 more. The amps are not related and, again, the street price of the Sherbourne amp is considerably lower than $2850.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
The Outlaw 770 is a steal at $1700. You will find a lot of people who like to trash the 950 because of the release issues, but I doubt you will find many, if any, that would criticize their amps. Excellent performers, and not just for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks