Outlaw 950/Atlantic Technology P-2000/Sherbourn PT-7000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Barry Lieberman, May 12, 2003.

1. Barry Lieberman

So who actually makes these pre/pros for the other two companies. Or does one manufacturer make them for all three? Which one is the best? Are there any differences?

For those who own one, why did you pick yours versus the other two?

Barry

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Easttech makes them. Here is a link to their site http://www.eastech.com/.
    The main differences are the faceplate and the component video bandwidth. All three are theoretically able to pass 1080i so the video is pretty irrelevant. Sherbourn and AT also claim to have some other upgrades (but that is pretty vague, sorry) but I don't think anybody has proved a difference in real world testing.

I chose the Outlaw because of price, the trial period, and the customer service (which is not to say Sherbourn and AT are not, I just don't know).

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

You know what amazes me about these three is that alot of people know they are very similar. The magazines that have reviewed them surely are aware of the other two. Yet nobody adresses that fact that they are very similar. Someone should do a head to head. Are the Sherbourn and AT worth the extra dough? Why should one get the AT over the Sherbourn or visa-versa since they are about the same price?
    The release of these three have been very noticed by the consumer and the magazine reviewers (press) alike. Yet nobody is willing to comment on the substantiated differences of either.
    Could it undermine a company or two? Maybe. Would any publication wanna take the heat for that? Probably not.

Just interesting in my opinion.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have the Outlaw and I love it. Because of price considerations I did not even consider the others.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I suspect that no one will ever do a head-to-head, because I suspect it would prove that the "improvements" (other than the video bandwidth) that Sherbourn and AT claim aren't really relevant to real-world performance. But now with that being said, some people are more comfortable buying from a brick & morter store than from the internet, and for others, the different faceplates alone might be worth the difference in price.

I have another thought process too, that says that Outlaw themselves could have put a better faceplate on the 950, but they specifically didn't, because they didn't want to encroach on AT or Sherbourn's turf in terms of "perceived" quality and value for the money. (Something like that anyway.) [​IMG]

6. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Isn't Peter Tribeman, the head of Outlaw, the president/chairman of Atlantic Technology??

I think he's just marketing the same product to two different consumer groups. Throw a spiffy faceplate on, claim performance benefits, and sell it for $800 more.

7. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Outlaw has that certain no-frills, straight from the sheet of metal look, but they've had that from the begining.
    Does a little bit nicer face-plate warrant an extra $900.00.
    How much do those "extra special capacitors" in the AT and Sherbourn cost?
    I do know that Outalw has a few "recommended components" under their belt in the electronics catagory. I don't doubt that theirs' would be a solid buy.
    I know they are working on a big brother to the 950. It'll be interesting who they'll make nervous with that one. [​IMG]

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds...

Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth...

Outlaw, ATI, Sherbourne...

Sherbourne ought to cough up some money and get an email address with their website's name on it instead of an AOL one.

9. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I have seen the sherbourn pt-7000 and 7/2100 at the local Hi-Fi shop. Yes it looks nice but is it worth the extra money...probably not. Though I must admit the amp is one beast(weighs over 100 lbs. For the price difference I think the Outlaw is the winner.since it is cheaper and from what I have read there are no major differences.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Oh, something along similar lines: See all the pre/pros coming out now with those funky LCD (or something displays) on them?

ATI 8500, Bel Canto, Halo C1 (?), Rotel 1098, Fosgate ...

I'd be super curious if there is an "Eastech" behind these guys too. [​IMG]

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I do recall reading something about the Fosgate and EastTech some time back. Can always do a google search on the terms [​IMG]

12. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

13. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I actually think the Fosgate is based on the 950 internals, or at least a part of them, as well as the ATI 7500. But I reckon at least *some* of those other units are built by a common sub-contractor...

15. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I paid $1100 shipped for a new AT P-2000. I felt it was worth the extra ~ $150 more than the outlaw. Definitely not at $1700 though.

16. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Kevin,
    I doubt the Fosgate has anything to do with EastTech, from the info below over at AVS;

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bruce - Maybe just uses the Cirrus chip then for (part of its) processing. I saw one of those "new product" blurbs in one of the HT magazines say that it had the CES modes for playing 5.1 sources on a 7.1 speaker setup.

18. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Kevin- yes, I think you're correct, by the way, even Lexicon uses Cirrus DSPs.

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yuppers: and I actually checked on this for tidbit gurus: the Outlaw 950 uses the same Cirrus DSP chip as the MC-12. The MC-8 uses a slightly newer version. But, whereas the Outlaw for example uses the Cirrus chip for everything, the Lexes only use it for straight DD/DTS decoding. All the DSP on the Lexes is performed by AD SHARCs.

20. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Bruce,

The C1 and C2 that you made reference to are the Parasound Controllers, and yes they are being developped in Finland by Flextronics.

The Fosgate is the FAP T1. It may or may not be based on the Outlaw 950.