What's new

Outlaw 1050 & Panny RP91, direct 5.1 LFE is awful! (1 Viewer)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I wasn't to sure which spot to post this since it deals with DVDP's and Receivers.

I received my Outlaw cables yesterday and hooked up my Direct 5.1 from my Panasonic RP91 to my Outlaw 1050. My test disc was the "Eagles: Hell Freezes Over" DVD. I selected "optical" first and listened to "Hotel California". (By the way this was the first time I was actually able to listen to it in DTS since my Panny A100 wouldn't do DTS). It had a very full sound. LFE was perfect. Stopped it, put it on Direct 5.1 and tried again. ACK!!!! There was wayyyyy to much LFE! My previous setting was -3 on the sub. With Direct 5.1 I had to turn it down all the way to -12. My wife even noticed a difference. This was definitely not what I was expecting. I'm afraid there is going to be this much differnce when listening to DVD-A.

I did try switching cables but still get the same problem. Is this the dreaded "not able to manage bass" problem with Direct 5.1 or DVD-A?????

J

John Morris

Shawn: First, DVD/DD and DVD-A playback are very different animals. In the first case, the 1050 was doing the decoding of the Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack on the Eagles DVD. I have no idea what would come out of the analog outputs of the RP91 during a DD/DTS soundtrack? Since you had previously calibrated the 1050, it sounded good. Have you calibrated the internal DD/DTS playback via the RP91?

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Ah! Thanks John. No I haven't calibrated the RP91. I'll have to purchase my first DVD-A and see how it sounds compared to my first test. If all is well then I won't touch the RP91. If not then I have some thinking and planning to do. I'm afraid that if I adjust anything audio wise on the RP91 it might change the DD/DTS sound.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
You should be able to fiddle with the analog output's settings all day long for DD/DTS, and the digital signal won't get changed at all. Basically, the player is in charge of messing with the analog output, and the preamp/receiver is in charge of the digital output. As long as you've got the digital outs set up to pass DD/DTS instead of PCM, all should be fine.

For DVD-A, I don't think the RP91 lets you do much to the outgoing sound, though.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks