Outlaw 1050 & Panny RP91, direct 5.1 LFE is awful!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I wasn't to sure which spot to post this since it deals with DVDP's and Receivers.

I received my Outlaw cables yesterday and hooked up my Direct 5.1 from my Panasonic RP91 to my Outlaw 1050. My test disc was the "Eagles: Hell Freezes Over" DVD. I selected "optical" first and listened to "Hotel California". (By the way this was the first time I was actually able to listen to it in DTS since my Panny A100 wouldn't do DTS). It had a very full sound. LFE was perfect. Stopped it, put it on Direct 5.1 and tried again. ACK!!!! There was wayyyyy to much LFE! My previous setting was -3 on the sub. With Direct 5.1 I had to turn it down all the way to -12. My wife even noticed a difference. This was definitely not what I was expecting. I'm afraid there is going to be this much differnce when listening to DVD-A.

I did try switching cables but still get the same problem. Is this the dreaded "not able to manage bass" problem with Direct 5.1 or DVD-A?????

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Shawn: First, DVD/DD and DVD-A playback are very different animals. In the first case, the 1050 was doing the decoding of the Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack on the Eagles DVD. I have no idea what would come out of the analog outputs of the RP91 during a DD/DTS soundtrack? Since you had previously calibrated the 1050, it sounded good. Have you calibrated the internal DD/DTS playback via the RP91?

3. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Ah! Thanks John. No I haven't calibrated the RP91. I'll have to purchase my first DVD-A and see how it sounds compared to my first test. If all is well then I won't touch the RP91. If not then I have some thinking and planning to do. I'm afraid that if I adjust anything audio wise on the RP91 it might change the DD/DTS sound.

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

You should be able to fiddle with the analog output's settings all day long for DD/DTS, and the digital signal won't get changed at all. Basically, the player is in charge of messing with the analog output, and the preamp/receiver is in charge of the digital output. As long as you've got the digital outs set up to pass DD/DTS instead of PCM, all should be fine.

For DVD-A, I don't think the RP91 lets you do much to the outgoing sound, though.

Ryan