What's new

Our Great Dane Died This Morning (1 Viewer)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Nammy Boy was nine years old, a large dog even by Dane standards. The Vet said it was normal for him to go suddenly. We knew that was a possibility when we rescued him eight years ago. The greatest pet we ever had, and the most mindful animal around children and especially careful around ladies. A great Dane's heart is very low in the chest cavity, and has to work much harder than a smaller pet, which gives them a much shorter life-span. If you are looking for a pet, I can't say enough about the Dane, They are Friends-For-Life. Nammy, you'll be missed.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Bill. I know what it feels like to loose a part of the family like that.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Amazing pic, Frank! :)
I, too, lost a good friend on December 25, 1993. Sheba was a 13-year-old German Shepard. We lived on a large 50-acre property then. I remember taking her a plate full of scraps around 9:00pm Christmas Eve - which she happily ate. We went to put her in that evening (we had a good-sized run for her) and she was no where to be found.
The next morning, when she still wasn't back, we skipped our usual presents to go out looking for her. We started with the bush (which is probably about 10-acres in size) and after about 30 minutes of three of us doing sweeps through it, found her. She had gone in there sometime after her last meal, picked a good spot, and, well .....
We've got some great pictures as well that I'll have to post sometime. :)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Pets are part of family. A part of us goes with them when we lose them.

I am sorry for your loss, and hope that you will soon find another happy companion. Not a replacement, never that, but another good friend in life.

Take care,

Mike

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Those big dogs are often the kindest (they can afford to be :) ).
Sorry to hear that, Bill. You and your family must be missing him a lot.
Cees

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
My sister lost her Great Dane named Taj (from Taj Mahal) on Jan 6/03 at the age of 8 1/2. That dog was the sweetest and smartest big lug of a dog I've ever known. He could close the garage door on command. I know when I go visit her, it won't be the same without him there.

Sorry for your loss Bill as well.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Sorry about your loss.:frowning:
I have a very large Shepherd/Lab mix who is laying beside me as I type this. I feel for your loss Bill.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I'm sorry to hear it as well. I'd be very sad if I lost my pug Trog and boxer Jade. It sucks that big dogs don't usually live that long.

My neighbor went through a similar thing Friday night. A stove in her cellar caused a fire in her house. All the smoke and everything killed all her pets, which were a dog, 3 cats, and 4 birds. She had just adopted 2 of the cats last week. She was very devestated.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I'm glad I found this thread because my wife and I just lost our short-haired Tabby cat named "Fussy" this past Friday, January 10th 2003 to kidney failure. I cried like I never cried before that day. She was a much loved part of our family since we don't have kids. I love Fussy and I'll never forget her...just wanted you all to know that.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Nammy sounds like a good, kind, and loyal dog. I'm sorry for your loss.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am crying as I type this, and my dog (a small pure-bred shepherd) hasn't even died. I rescued her three years ago from a shelter and she was my shadow. I loved that animal as much as I've loved almost any person. But she was highly territorial and protective, and because I didn't take the steps I should have when I learned this (having her trained properly, whatever), she nipped at someone on the property and my landlord told me she had to go. I would have gladly moved had I been able to, but my dog is gone. She is with a loving woman with 50 acres of land and is no doubt in 7th Heaven. I will always miss her deeply.
Bill, there is no way for someone who hasn't loved a dog to understand why the loss can feel so heavy. I understand perfectly and empathize one hundred percent.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Bill,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

I lost my dog Rexy this this July/August, he was 13 years old. A collie/??? mix, we rescued him from the pound as a puppy and brought him up as a loving and vital member of our 5 person/1 dog family.

Having moved out a while ago, the loss still affected me in a very deep and meaningful way. Yet in the end, I know that he died knowing that he was loved, and that he would be missed. I can not stress how important a role he played in my life... the lessons I learned about life, caring and loving for a dependent and affectionate creature througout all it's phases of life, and then death.

Although you grieve now, please remember how much richer you are for having had Nammy Boy as a member of your family.

Moe.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I am so sorry to hear about your loss a family pet is another family member. I had to put my Australian Shephard/Kelpie mix to sleep a couple years ago, he was 19, and it nearly killed me. My wife grew up with Great Danes all her life and I was able to meet there families last Dane about a year before he past away. He was a great dog and I can only imagine your loss. Best wishes and keep those pictures/memories close.

KyleS

Timothy Fisher

Auditioning
Bill,
Sorry to hear about your loss. My family lost our 17 year old border collie Lucy last year. We were all greatly saddened by her death. After Lucy died, my sister sent me the following piece by Eugene O'Neill.

The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog

by Eugene O'Neill

I, Silverdene Emblem O'Neill (familiarly known to my family, friends,and acquaintances as Blemie), because the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. He will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in his loneliness, he will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask him then to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love
and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master and Mistress, who I know will mourn me most, to Freeman who has been so good to me, to Cyn and Roy and Willie and Naomi - But if I should list all those who have loved me it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely lovable dog.

I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain. Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and
this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said goodbye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me.
It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows? I would like to believe with those of my fellow Dalmatians who are devout Mohammedans, that there is a Paradise where one is always
young and full-bladdered; where all the day one dillies and dallies with an amorous multitude of houris, beautifully spotted; where jack rabbits that run fast but not too fast (like the houris) are as the sands of the desert; where each blissful hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever
burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth, and the love of one's Master and Mistress.

I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.

One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, "When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one." Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the
family, now she cannot live without a dog! I have never had a narrow jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good (and one cat, the black one I have permitted to share the living room rug during the evenings, whose affection I have tolerated in a kindly spirit, and in rare sentimental moods, even reciprocated a trifle). Some dogs, of course, are better than others. Dalmatians, naturally,
as everyone knows, are best. So I suggest a Dalmatian as my successor. He can hardly be as well bred or well mannered as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible. But he will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green. To him I bequeath my collar and leash and my overcoat and raincoat, made to order in 1929 at Hermès in
Paris. He can never wear them with the distinction I did, walking around the Place Vendôme, or later along Park Avenue, all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure he will do his utmost not to appear a mere gauche provincial dog. Here on the ranch, he may prove himself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. He will, I
presume, come closer to jack rabbits than I have been able to in recent years. And, for all his faults, I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my
spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

[Sorry for the long post].

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sorry to hear about your loss, Bill. :frowning:
I'm not very good at saying stuff in these situations, so I'll just say that having lost dogs and cats myself in the past, I know how you must feel.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Thanks to everyone in this thread. If you can find it in your hearts to rescue or adopt a large breed animal, I promise, you'll have a friend for life. Danes are an especially loyal animal, but as with any large breed, you should read a book or two to learn the do's and Don'ts...
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks