OS X users: have you dumped 9?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Pamela, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have the new Quark 6 and Acrobat 6 on the way. About the only thing I use OS 9 for is Quark. I have actually come to despise OS 9. It seems so archaic. I would like to take it off, but I'm kind of nervous. Trying to think why I would still need to keep it. Some of my clients do send me .sea files which need 9 to open up. Other than that, I'm not sure.

So, have you dumped 9 yet? Any problems?

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Why do you need OS 9 to open .sea files? They can probably be extracted just fine with an OS X version of Stuffit Expander.

I said goodbye to OS 9 whenever the Real One Player was released and I've never looked back. There are some co-workers that complain about the lack of decoding tools in OS X, but I haven't come across a file I couldn't get open somehow.

3. Chris Hopper

Chris Hopper Agent

I too have come to hate 9. When Quake 3 released a full X download I got rid of 9 and did not look back.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Although I don't hate 9, I was very happy the day that I was finally free of Classic applications. Now I don't startup Classic at all.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I got into Apple after OS X was released so I owned no legacy apps. When I installed OS X I made sure to remove as much of OS 9 as possible. OS X is just a joy to work with after dealing with Windows all day.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

7. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replys. I think I will dump OS 9. Probably save that chore for a weekend when I have nothing else to do.

8. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I use OS X for everything except music. I have one synth that interfaces with the computer via software, and it's not available for OS X. I also have several software plug-ins and softsynths that are OS9 only.

But it won't be long. I'm probably going to have to sell the synth, and most of the plug-ins will be available for X in the coming months...so I will be able to fully transfer to X soon.

9. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

The only thing that I miss is the Adobe Type Manger in OS 9. I still haven't found a type manager that I really like under OS X.

10. EdR

EdR Second Unit

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I haven't used Classic since I retired my G3 in the beginning of the year. I don't even have it installed on my TiBook.

OS X is great -- I am yet to experience a kernel panic and I have been running it since 10.0 on three different Macs: B&W G3, 1st generation TiBook & 1.2 GHz DP G4. OS 9 (not to mention Windows) crashes left, right and center.

Now that Safari has replaced Internet Exploder, life is peachy keen. OS X is the way to go -- 9 will just be a bad dream once you've switched.

Ted
    Macintosh owner since March of 1984.

12. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I have a backup on DVD-R to use on my G4 if need be, but I don't use Classic or OS 9.

13. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I haven't used Classic mode for a year except the one or two times I've played an old game.

OS X totally changed the way I work. The best thing is that I can ssh into my servers from home and do almost anything I want to do. Start and stop processes or even reboot the machine. I'm able to cron various shell scripts and use a full suite of tools - Applescript, perl, shell scripts to do database imports, backups, process watchers, ... and the list goes on.

I use as much open source software as possible (saving the taxpayer $$) which is another outstanding benefit. I'm able to run message boards, blogs, htdig for search, apache for web serving, mysql for databases, php for scripting, - all sorts of stuff.

Oh, and we're working on tying all of our services to a single LDAP server using Jaguar Server's Open Directory.

A far cry from when we were running a mixed bag of OS 9 and BSD servers.

14. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

I don't use MacOS 9 much on the iMac, but that's mostly because I haven't transferred over the software I bought for my older Mac.

The negative scanner I bought to use with the iMac claimed to support MacOS 8.6 and up, but a lot of the times that I tried to use it in Mac OS X 10.1, I got crashes and hangs. It managed to kill Mac OS X on multiple occasions.

Finally, I gave up and started rebooting into MacOS 9 each time I needed to do a scan.

The copy of Adobe PhotoShop Deluxe 1.0 included with the scanner worked well enough in Classic (no crashes as long as you don't invoke the scanner driver), but when I saw a sale on the OS X-native 2.0, I got it.

15. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I agree that the scanner support is a major shortcoming of OS X. I have yet to find a page-feeding scanner with OS X-native drivers that can support OCR.

16. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

17. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Time for an Apple branded scanner. I think that most of the great stuff coming for macs lately -- iPod, iSight, iTunes, Final Cut Pro, etc. have all been Apple branded -- taking things in house seems to be the way to go --Apple could (and should) buy a good scanner company out of petty cash.

Ted

18. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor