What's new

OS X users: have you dumped 9? (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I have the new Quark 6 and Acrobat 6 on the way. About the only thing I use OS 9 for is Quark. I have actually come to despise OS 9. It seems so archaic. I would like to take it off, but I'm kind of nervous. Trying to think why I would still need to keep it. Some of my clients do send me .sea files which need 9 to open up. Other than that, I'm not sure.

So, have you dumped 9 yet? Any problems?

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Why do you need OS 9 to open .sea files? They can probably be extracted just fine with an OS X version of Stuffit Expander.

I said goodbye to OS 9 whenever the Real One Player was released and I've never looked back. There are some co-workers that complain about the lack of decoding tools in OS X, but I haven't come across a file I couldn't get open somehow.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Although I don't hate 9, I was very happy the day that I was finally free of Classic applications. Now I don't startup Classic at all.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I got into Apple after OS X was released so I owned no legacy apps. When I installed OS X I made sure to remove as much of OS 9 as possible. OS X is just a joy to work with after dealing with Windows all day.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have actually come to despise OS 9.
Oh yes. Once I got OSX running and found out my computer no longer crashed...I was HOOKED!

The only time I use 9 is for Director and Quark (I don't use them enough to update right now).

The only thing I'm not happy with in OSX is Adobe Premiere 6. I can not get it to open :angry: Does anyone know if 6.5 works with OSX?

I've also given up on SoundEdit 16. Luckily I have a PC as well so I whatever I don't have an OSX update to, I just use the PC for.

It's nice not having to watch that OS 9 screen startup :)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replys. I think I will dump OS 9. Probably save that chore for a weekend when I have nothing else to do.

EdR

Second Unit
I use OS X for everything except music. I have one synth that interfaces with the computer via software, and it's not available for OS X. I also have several software plug-ins and softsynths that are OS9 only.

But it won't be long. I'm probably going to have to sell the synth, and most of the plug-ins will be available for X in the coming months...so I will be able to fully transfer to X soon.

I've also given up on SoundEdit 16.
SoundEdit is worth giving up on, it's truly an awful application in terms of algorithm quality...it really messes with sounds. There are several audio editors out for OS X that do a much better job:

Amadeus
Spark LE (or any version fo Spark)
Peak

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that I miss is the Adobe Type Manger in OS 9. I still haven't found a type manager that I really like under OS X.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I haven't used Classic since I retired my G3 in the beginning of the year. I don't even have it installed on my TiBook.

OS X is great -- I am yet to experience a kernel panic and I have been running it since 10.0 on three different Macs: B&W G3, 1st generation TiBook & 1.2 GHz DP G4. OS 9 (not to mention Windows) crashes left, right and center.

Now that Safari has replaced Internet Exploder, life is peachy keen. OS X is the way to go -- 9 will just be a bad dream once you've switched.

Ted
Macintosh owner since March of 1984.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I have a backup on DVD-R to use on my G4 if need be, but I don't use Classic or OS 9.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I haven't used Classic mode for a year except the one or two times I've played an old game.

OS X totally changed the way I work. The best thing is that I can ssh into my servers from home and do almost anything I want to do. Start and stop processes or even reboot the machine. I'm able to cron various shell scripts and use a full suite of tools - Applescript, perl, shell scripts to do database imports, backups, process watchers, ... and the list goes on.

I use as much open source software as possible (saving the taxpayer $$) which is another outstanding benefit. I'm able to run message boards, blogs, htdig for search, apache for web serving, mysql for databases, php for scripting, - all sorts of stuff.

Oh, and we're working on tying all of our services to a single LDAP server using Jaguar Server's Open Directory.

A far cry from when we were running a mixed bag of OS 9 and BSD servers.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I don't use MacOS 9 much on the iMac, but that's mostly because I haven't transferred over the software I bought for my older Mac.

The negative scanner I bought to use with the iMac claimed to support MacOS 8.6 and up, but a lot of the times that I tried to use it in Mac OS X 10.1, I got crashes and hangs. It managed to kill Mac OS X on multiple occasions.

Finally, I gave up and started rebooting into MacOS 9 each time I needed to do a scan.

The copy of Adobe PhotoShop Deluxe 1.0 included with the scanner worked well enough in Classic (no crashes as long as you don't invoke the scanner driver), but when I saw a sale on the OS X-native 2.0, I got it.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I agree that the scanner support is a major shortcoming of OS X. I have yet to find a page-feeding scanner with OS X-native drivers that can support OCR.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the scanner support is a major shortcoming of OS X. I have yet to find a page-feeding scanner with OS X-native drivers that can support OCR.
I had OCR working until about 10.1.x or so when Omnipage support took a dive. Scanners and printers have been an issue with X. Especially early on, I have a Canon scanner now that likes to list itself in the console every second if you want to use those automatic fax/copy/scan buttons.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Time for an Apple branded scanner. I think that most of the great stuff coming for macs lately -- iPod, iSight, iTunes, Final Cut Pro, etc. have all been Apple branded -- taking things in house seems to be the way to go --Apple could (and should) buy a good scanner company out of petty cash.

Ted

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Time for an Apple branded scanner
Way back when, in the early 90s, Apple did have their own scanners. We had one at work and my boyfriend had one. I remember them as being nice. Don't think they will ever produce one again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks