What's new

Orange Glo ® Hardwood Floor Care System (1 Viewer)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I refinish hardwood floor as a side job and have seen MANY people screw up their flors by what they use to wash it. The Orange Glow stuff does not say what it is made from. My guess if that it has wax in it. Wax is what will give it a shine and make the floor seem new.....it is also what will permanently DESTROY your floor!! All wood floor will need to be refinished or at the very least screened and recoated. Wax absorbs into the wood...all the way through. When the floor needs to be refinished or recoated the wax will prevent the finish from adhearing to the wood and causes the poly to bubble and look like hell. Even is the floor is completely stripped this will happen. Swiffer and all of those other things like it are crap. Sure it will look nice now but 8 years from now when they need to be redone because of normal wear and tear you will regret it BIG TIME!! I have refinished floors only to find out that they used wax cleaners and the floor did not come out good...they then had to turn around and have the floors replaced....not cool. Contrary to what the add says....vinegar will not destroy a floor. If mixed with a lot of water than it will be fine. What I tell people to use is a mixture of a cup of windex and a gallon and a half of warm water. It is cheap and looks great and will not destroy the floor. Just remember WAX BAD!! There is a great cleaner on the market that is great too but the name escapes me. If I remember I will post it.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
I own a hardwood flooring business.

I concur with what Evan said, most of those kinds of products are very damaging to your hardwood. Wax is awful. Even Murphy's Oil Soap which many people have be trained to use, damages your floor.

And yes, Drew, the Bona products are good. They are designed for polyurethaned floors.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
BONA!!!!! THANK YOU!!! Believe it or not I was agonizing about that one for awhile!! Couldn't remember that name for the life of me. Bona does make a great product.....kind of pricey though. Really the best way to take care of hardwood is mostly preventative stuff. Put down throw carpets (with sof backing...but nonslip) in high traffic areas, Put soft felt under furniture feet, don't let water or any fluid sit for extended time, clean up animal urine QUICKLY etc etc..... If you do use a "homemade" solution like the windex thing do not use more of the windex or other solution than needed as it can hurt the floor.

Jay, laughed my A** off with the Wax on wax off comment :).

Joe, Excellent advice about the Murphy's. I cringe every time I see that junk. I almost consider it the Bose of the wood floor world LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks