What's new

Optoma Vs Viewsonic projector ? (1 Viewer)

steve-gos

Auditioning
Looking to add projector to my HT system to watch only DVD's. I have not upgraded to Blu Ray yet still watching standard DVD @ 480P. Looking to spend no more than $600 for now. Looking at either a refurb Optoma H27 w/new bulb for $300 OR Viewsonic PJ551D w/ add'l bulb for about $500. Optoma has DVI and can upconvert to 720P-1080i and was considered one of the best projectors about 1-2 years ago.

Thanks for any suggestions. Too many good DVD's coming out to watch letterboxed on a 42" plasma!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will get more answers in the Display Device section where people actually discuss TV's and projectors. This section is more for questions about the room to put it in.

-Robert

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
If you can up your budget a bit, I can heartily recommend the new Optoma HD65. It "streets" for around $850 and includes all the latest picture enhancement modes (BrilliantColor, ImageAI, TrueVid, et al.)

It's a 720p native resolution device, but includes great upscaling circuitry for component-fed 480p progressive scan DVD.

It also does a great job of downscaling 1080i cable to 720p; and even supports 1080p 24 frame mode for your future Blu-ray deck.

Here's a link to a review of the unit which was recently posted at ProjectorCentral.com:

Optoma HD65 Review

steve-gos

Auditioning
Does the H27 downscale everything above a 480P? How does the 720p/HDTV content look? Will I have any screen door at 15 ft - 101" screen? Price diff between refurbed H27 and HD65 is alot and right now this is my first attempt at a HT projector set up. Also - I think bulbs are about $100 more for the HD65??

Anyone still using H27?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Steve,

I currently own the Optoma HD65. I've never owned the H27, but I have spoken to some people that have.

I can tell you that screendoor is not much of a problem due to the fact that it's a DLP projector. I used to own the 480p Infocus 4805 and the SD on that projector wasn't bad -- at about 8' from the 92" screen. It *was* noticeable - but mostly tolerable - when sitting any closer than that. So at 15' you should be fine.

The H27 can scale 1080i on down. It can't handle 1080p. (If you upgrade to Blu-ray, you can set the player's output to 1080i.)

You may still want to consider the HD65, though, for these reasons:
1. More Lumens (1250 vs 850)
2. Better contrast (4000:1 vs 2500:1)
3. Better Resolution (720p vs 480p)
4. More modern color wheel - Provides better saturated colors with fewer RBE artifacts and gradient issues.
5. Can downscale both 1080p 60hz and 1080p 24hz. In the latter mode "judder" on 2D animated titles totally disappears.
6. More modern picture enhancement modes: BrialliantColor II, TrueVid, ImageAI - These modes can really make your DVDs "pop".
7. If you look around a little you'll see that you can obtain the HD65 for not much more than that used H27
8. New projector warranty

Good Luck!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would not buy a 480p projector at this point in time. I recommend you save a little more and buy a 720p projector.

steve-gos

Auditioning
Thanks to all for the help. I've decided to go with a refurbed Optoma HD70 I found on Ebay last night. Question to those who have an Optoma HD. I have 2 wall options to put a screen - one is 15' away from projector and the other is 20+ ' away. Is 20 ft too far away for this unit? I read the distance calculator info for this unit and I'll probably will only watch movies in the dark.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Steve:

Congrats on your purchase of the HD70. That's not a bad little projector and should suit your needs well.

I would recommend the 15' mounting position; and you should definitely try to limit your screen size to 120" or less.

If you haven't already, you should probably also check out ProjectorCentral's review of your projector:

Optoma HD70 Review

Congrats again!

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Optoma has the worst customer service ever, good luck with that one. Congrats on your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.