What's new

Optoma CinemaX P1 4K UHD/HDR Short Throw Laser Projector (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Optoma's CinemaX P1 4K UHD/HDR Short Throw Laser Projector is scheduled to launch in the USA on September 15, 2019.

Here's the .pdf spec sheet.

Optoma states the peak luminance at up to 3,000 Nits. 4K refresh rate is 30Hz and the CinemaX P1 uses TI's .47 DMD DLP and an eight segment RGB color wheel. The CinemaX P1 is 3D ready, but you will need to supply your own 3D Active glasses and a 3D capable BD player.

We're authorized Optoma dealers and expect to be included in the first allocation. I'll be putting it one display/demo in our store theater room next to LG's HU85LA to compare these two new UST projectors. For later this year, I'm also considering hosting the first UST Projector Shootout evaluation event with following UST projectors:

- Hisense L10E

- LG HU85LA

- Sony VPL-VZ1000ES

- Optoma CinemaX P1

I have all of these UST projectors on our website with more technical information and .pdf spec sheets on each brand/model.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
The day has finally come and Optoma is shipping the first allocation of CinemaX P1 UST projection systems to us this week!

We'll have one on display in our showroom next to LG's HU85LA.

JSHeacock

Agent
Real Name
Jack Heacock
The day has finally come and Optoma is shipping the first allocation of CinemaX P1 UST projection systems to us this week!

We'll have one on display in our showroom next to LG's HU85LA.

Anxiously awaiting this comparative review.

I am planning a home theater in a new home that will be built over the next 9 months in Florida and I'm waffling between an 85" Sony 900F and a projector. I'm a little concerned about the verified purchaser reviews on Amazon I've seen on the Optoma projectors but I'm also concerned about some reviews I've seen on the Sony TVs short lifespans and dead LED clusters.

Has anyone had a chance to look at the Vava short throw laser projector?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@Jack, here's a quick summery of some of the differences between Optoma's P1 and LG's HU85LA UST projection systems.

The Optoma appears slightly brighter than LG's HU85LA, but the contrast is higher on the HU85LA as well as the deep rich black levels. LG's HU85LA is moderately better at converting cable content and overall a sharper image. Motion resolution appears to be slightly smoother on the HU85LA. LG's HU85LA has more calibration and better Keystone correction settings.

Anyone sensitive to the rainbow effect on DLP projectors with the single laser RGB spinning wheel would like not like the Optoma, but it's less of an issue as the P1 uses a 8 color fast spinning wheel to generate all of the colors.

Both projectors are among the best UST choices and the picture quality and overall performance is better than expected even in high ambient light.

Optoma's P1 is 3D capable with optional active 3D glasses, LG's HU85LA is not 3D capable.

Regarding Sony's 85" X900F does not have a short lifespan or any issues of deal LED clusters. Any TV can develop a shorter than expected lifespan or develop any defect, but Sony's X900F has a better than average mean-time-between-failure among all TVs.

The advantage of going with an UST projection system is the larger screen size, the advantage of a TV is better performance in high ambient light.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've had two Optoma projectors over the past 15 or so years, and loved both. The first SD projector still works, I just decided to upgrade to HD/3D and have loved that one since I've had it. I'll definitely keep an eye on this for a future 4K/3D upgrade.

Love the UST option, as the biggest drawback of my current space is the projector has to sit on a table at the back of the room, so people are always walking in front of it and blocking the picture.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@Malcolm R, LG's HU85LA and Optoma's new CinemaX P1 UST projection is designed to be positioned very close to the screen. So it is not effected by people walking in the room.

@Jack, two items I left off of my above post.

1st, LG's HU85LA requires a shorter throw distance form the screen. For example the HU85LA needs to be placed 2.2" from the screen surface to fill a 100" 16:9 screen, whereas Optoma's P1 requires 10.1" to fill the same 100" screen.

2nd, if you plan on using the built-in audio system Optoma's P1 delivers a moderately better audio experience.

JSHeacock

Agent
Real Name
Jack Heacock
Robert; wow! Thanks for that. I'm brand new to HT layout and equipping and that's why I'm here trying to avoid mistakes when I put this together.

I have a relatively small room carved out for a media room (12-6 x 16-4) with only one window, so I think it's perfect for a UST projector rather than a ceiling mounted projector.

The website specs say 20,000 hrs. under normal use. Any idea what is replaced when those 20K hrs. expire? Is a whole new system required or would a component be replaced? I do realize that 20K hrs. is a long time; about 6 years of constant use averaging 10 hrs. per day. But replacement/upkeep is a small consideration as well since I will be retired.

I don't plan on using its sound system; I will have a AVR and a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 speaker system.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
20,000 hrs is a conservative estimate of the laser light, but sorry to say they are not replaceable.

Love your Dolby Atmos/DTS:X audio system!

JSHeacock

Agent
Real Name
Jack Heacock
I've had two Optoma projectors over the past 15 or so years, and loved both. The first SD projector still works, I just decided to upgrade to HD/3D and have loved that one since I've had it. I'll definitely keep an eye on this for a future 4K/3D upgrade.

Love the UST option, as the biggest drawback of my current space is the projector has to sit on a table at the back of the room, so people are always walking in front of it and blocking the picture.

Thanks Malcolm. That's reassuring to know. I read reviews A LOT and I like to focus on those that are negative to see if there is a pattern of complaints and see the manufacturer's responses. Good to hear that a real LONG TIME user is happy with them.

JSHeacock

Agent
Real Name
Jack Heacock
[QUOTE="Robert_Zohn, post: 4790845, member: 325549"

Love your Dolby Atmos/DTS:X audio system![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I wanted the sound to match the quality of the image. I've learned a great deal in a short amount of time reading through the forum here. I was 'introduced' to a Atmos by a Best Buy salesperson who explained it well but had no way of demonstrating it.

Real Name
Matt Miller
I asked on Amazon about replacing the light source. An Optoma representative replied "Hello - CinemaX P1's Laser Light Source has a light source life of 30K hours in ECO mode - 20K light source hours in Normal mode (Bright). The Light Engine, like a panel TV, is not end-user replaceable yet can be replaced in our US HQ/Service Center (cost of Light Engine replacement will be available in the near future (please contact our customer service team)." I hope it is replaceable. Our last living room TV lasted around 27000 hours in 8 years. I guess 8 years pretty good. No display lasts as long as an old 19" CRT TV would have in the old days.
Anyway, I've got our P1 setup here, 120" screen, still tweaking the settings. We love it!

JSHeacock

Agent
Real Name
Jack Heacock
Thanks Matt.

Great to know you're loving it. I think I've settled on the idea of the projector over a large-screen TV for my media room/home theater. With a projector and screen, it will be a home theater rather than just a media room which is what I really wanted to begin with.

By the time the light engine wears out, there will likely be a much improved UST projector available - 8 or 16K perhaps and replacement will be about the same cost as repair.

I have a Sony 55" 1080P that I've had since 2009 and it's still a great picture. I was eyeing the Sony 85" for the media room. The Optoma Cinemax P1 is my new target and it would save me $200 (not including the screen).

Last edited:

Migue

Auditioning
Real Name
Miguel
Hi, but if money is not the problem and if I wanted the best image quality, would you still go for the optoma p1 instead of the LG?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
No ^^ LG's HU85LA delivers a moderately better picture quality a few ways. I've spent much time comparing them side-by-side and here’s my opinions on the differences:

LG HU85LA advantages:
  • Big advantage to LG’s HU85LA on the UST distance, e.g. for a 120” 16:9 screen the P1 needs to be placed 14.5” from the screen.
  • The HU85LA blacks are deeper and have more shadow detail vs. Optoma’s P1 that lacks low luminance detail and suffers from elevated blacks.
  • The HU85LA delivered a sharper more detailed image. I assume this is due to the better quality lens and better TI .66 chip set and superior video processing. Up-conversion is cleaner, 4K HDR disc playback is also sharper than the Optoma P1. The HU85LA delivers a more dynamic tonal range.
  • Moderately better color accuracy and color volume on the HU85LA.
  • 4 adjustable feet to help square the image on the screen. The P1 is limited to two back feet.
  • The HU85LA has a better software app for keystone adjustments.
  • Input lag is much faster on the HU85LA at about 60ms vs. about 120ms on the P1.
  • The HU85LA has QAM and OTA built-in decoders and a better web OS operating and Smart interface.
Optoma CinemaX P1 advantages:
  • Of course, the most obvious advantage is the lower cost at $3,299 UPP for the P1, vs. the MSRP of $5,999 for the HU85LA. The MSRP of Optoma's CinemaX P1 is also $5,999, but they set a UPP at $3,299. LG has not officially announced a UPP price.
  • 3D capable with optional 3D active glasses.
  • I did not measure the peak and minimal luminance levels, but the P1 appeared brighter.
  • Better built-in speaker/audio system.

GhostEye

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I was wondering if any of the owners could chime in here and verify ceiling mountability for this projector. I've seen some conflicting information about whether the projector has an inversion setting for ceiling mount. If it does have the inversion setting, if you could also post a picture of the bottom of the projector that would be super helpful. I have not seen a single image of that online anywhere. I'd really like to buy one of these but in my case it must be mounted on the ceiling. Thank you so much!

Adamsatl

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Adams
Ok... so my Optoma Cinemax P1 arrived last week and the screen arrived yesterday. The video looked amazing on my wall, although I have to admit that the knuckleheads that put in the sheet rock didn't get it perfect. Not a big deal since I was going to hang a screen anyway.

So here's my dilemma... screen is hung and the auto fit application doesn't work because I didn't buy an ALR screen. I keep getting the error that auto calibration failed. I have everything lined up the way I want but I need to adjust the keystone and there doesn't seem to be a way to do that in the menus.

Am I missing something here? Or is there an app or a secret menu and I need help finding. I am losing my mind trying to figure this thing out. I have an awesome picture but it doesn't fill the 120" screen. When I make the changes to the bottom line if the screen the keystone is way off so there must be a way to manually correct that. I know you can do it from the app, but since I'm using a non ALR screen it's not easily accomplished.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. All my other projectors were rear mounted and this is my first time working with an Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!!

Chris

Real Name
Matt Miller
Ok... so my Optoma Cinemax P1 arrived last week and the screen arrived yesterday. The video looked amazing on my wall, although I have to admit that the knuckleheads that put in the sheet rock didn't get it perfect. Not a big deal since I was going to hang a screen anyway.

So here's my dilemma... screen is hung and the auto fit application doesn't work because I didn't buy an ALR screen. I keep getting the error that auto calibration failed. I have everything lined up the way I want but I need to adjust the keystone and there doesn't seem to be a way to do that in the menus.

Am I missing something here? Or is there an app or a secret menu and I need help finding. I am losing my mind trying to figure this thing out. I have an awesome picture but it doesn't fill the 120" screen. When I make the changes to the bottom line if the screen the keystone is way off so there must be a way to manually correct that. I know you can do it from the app, but since I'm using a non ALR screen it's not easily accomplished.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. All my other projectors were rear mounted and this is my first time working with an Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!!

Chris
I can tell you how I set mine up. First I set the projector on the stand sitting level and moved it around until the image on the wall measured 59" tall. (the height of a 120" 16:9 image) Then I measured the distance from the floor to the top of the image. Marked the top of the image with masking tape. From there I marked the location of the brackets for the screen. Hung the screen, then moved the projector around and made small adjustments to the feet until it filled the screen. My screen has a 1/2" bezel, so that was my margin for error. I didn't have to use any geometry correction. It took a while though. As you know small adjustments can make a large difference.
If you try this method, I would first make sure any geometry correction is disabled. Good luck, I know it can be frustrating.

Adamsatl

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Adams
I can tell you how I set mine up. First I set the projector on the stand sitting level and moved it around until the image on the wall measured 59" tall. (the height of a 120" 16:9 image) Then I measured the distance from the floor to the top of the image. Marked the top of the image with masking tape. From there I marked the location of the brackets for the screen. Hung the screen, then moved the projector around and made small adjustments to the feet until it filled the screen. My screen has a 1/2" bezel, so that was my margin for error. I didn't have to use any geometry correction. It took a while though. As you know small adjustments can make a large difference.
If you try this method, I would first make sure any geometry correction is disabled. Good luck, I know it can be frustrating.

Thanks for the reply!! Well... After much adjusting I have it just about dialed in. I am going to have to make a stand for the projector as the stand I have it on right now is about an inch too high. I thought about just mounting the screen another inch higher, but then decided that It will probably be easier to build a custom stand since I'd have to mount the screen again by myself.

I found it really hard to believe that there wasn't any adjustments you could do with screen positioning in the app or with the controller.

It's all fun!! I have to say that the picture quality on this thing is absolutely amazing!!!

Thanks again for the advice!!!

Real Name
Matt Miller
Thanks for the reply!! Well... After much adjusting I have it just about dialed in. I am going to have to make a stand for the projector as the stand I have it on right now is about an inch too high. I thought about just mounting the screen another inch higher, but then decided that It will probably be easier to build a custom stand since I'd have to mount the screen again by myself.

I found it really hard to believe that there wasn't any adjustments you could do with screen positioning in the app or with the controller.

It's all fun!! I have to say that the picture quality on this thing is absolutely amazing!!!

Thanks again for the advice!!!
I built a small platform 2 1/2" tall to hold my center channel and the P1. The exposure in the second picture makes the room look dark. It's actually very well lit. Love the P1!
G4S_4451.JPG
G4S_4456.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks