What's new

Optoma CinemaX P1 4K UHD/HDR Short Throw Laser Projector (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Matt Miller
Hey Matt, the P1 came in right before Christmas... I am BLOWN AWAY... 2160p / HDR looks stunning, even on a white wall. The sound bar also puts out some serious sound...

I was watching Star Wars Mandalorian last night on my Nvidia Shield and it was super bad@ss... Superman (1978) and Wrath of Khan looke wicked and so does Planet Earth 2 in 2160p/HDR. You were right about it being quiet - I can't hear the thing at all.

The only "complaint" i have (if you'd even call it that) is the difficulty getting the shape of the screen configured. I do love the "green grid" warp calibration feature, and to be fair I'm not 100% sure that the surface of the wooden bench is parallel to the ground and that the wall is perpendicular to it

One pleasant surprise was that (especially when watching HDR...) I don't have to monkey around with any settings to get what I consider to be an incredible image. It automatically detects the HDR video and it just looks great. The simulated HDR is also pretty impressive, although certainly not as good as "real" HDR

Projector Screen is maybe one of the best companies I've ever ordered from. Norah and Brian Gluck were giving me constant updates on when the thing would ship and all that good stuff. Brian just sent me a list of 3d glasses to choose from... Going to order a pair today, I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks again,
Steve
Sounds good. Yeah, it's hard not to love this thing. I'd like to hear how 3d viewing goes. I haven't seen anyone test it yet on Youtube or anywhere else.
We're having a New Years Eve party tonight. I think most people will think it's a monster flat panel!

Valheru

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Ha nice! I'm planning to watch the entire original Star Wars trilogy in 4K HDR, back-to-back. Haven't done that in years...

Another nice thing about Projector Screen is they didn't gouge me for more $$$ just because the P1 is sold out everywhere. A lot of places I found were tacking on at least an extra $500. I paid $3,299 and it's $3,799 on Amazon now

Real Name
Matt Miller
Ha nice! I'm planning to watch the entire original Star Wars trilogy in 4K HDR, back-to-back. Haven't done that in years...

Another nice thing about Projector Screen is they didn't gouge me for more $$$ just because the P1 is sold out everywhere. A lot of places I found were tacking on at least an extra $500. I paid $3,299 and it's $3,799 on Amazon now
I pretty sure $3799 in the new price everywhere now. You just made it under the wire.

Valheru

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Hey Matt, wanted to give you an update on 3D on the P1.

I did some research and asked some Amazon sellers and found a pair that fits over regular glasses. They said it supports any DLP projector including Optoma https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QJ3GMJK/

I got the glasses today and on the positive side, they're nice and fit easily over glasses. However, I've been trying to “connect/pair” them with the projector with no success no matter what buttons I push on the glasses. The 3d menu on the projector seems to be grayed out entirely and when I play 3D videos I can’t get it to work no matter what I try.

I've tried 3D video files from VLC, as well as 3D youtube videos (such as side-by-side SBS), through an Amazon fire stick and my Nvidia shield. I don't have a 3D bluray player handy

The same 3D videos work on my old LG passive-3D LCD TV upstairs…

I’m going to contact Optoma support to see if there’s something that I need to do to activate (turn on?) 3d on the projector itself

tmf5

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Okay so late to the party here, but Optoma p1 vs. the Hisense l10e?

With the recent price drop of the Hisense ($3999) and the increase in the p1 (3799), they are in spitting distance of each other....

Which do folks think deal with ambient light better? The dual lasers and extra HDMI have me leanings towards the Hisense, but there seems to be far fewer reviews (in general) and comparisons on the hisense machine than the optoma. I like what I've seen from the P1 vs the likes of LG and Vava, but never seen these 2 head to head.

ProjectionHead

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Okay so late to the party here, but Optoma p1 vs. the Hisense l10e?

With the recent price drop of the Hisense ($3999) and the increase in the p1 (3799), they are in spitting distance of each other....

Which do folks think deal with ambient light better? The dual lasers and extra HDMI have me leanings towards the Hisense, but there seems to be far fewer reviews (in general) and comparisons on the hisense machine than the optoma. I like what I've seen from the P1 vs the likes of LG and Vava, but never seen these 2 head to head.
The Hisense is definitely the better unit. That model is discontinued and once it is out of stock it will be gone forever. They are replacing it with their less expensive, single laser 100L5F unit (bundled with screen) and will be introducing their upgraded 3 laser (tri-chroma) unit in the near future.

ProjectionHead

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hey Matt, the P1 came in right before Christmas... I am BLOWN AWAY... 2160p / HDR looks stunning, even on a white wall. The sound bar also puts out some serious sound...

I was watching Star Wars Mandalorian last night on my Nvidia Shield and it was super bad@ss... Superman (1978) and Wrath of Khan looke wicked and so does Planet Earth 2 in 2160p/HDR. You were right about it being quiet - I can't hear the thing at all.

The only "complaint" i have (if you'd even call it that) is the difficulty getting the shape of the screen configured. I do love the "green grid" warp calibration feature, and to be fair I'm not 100% sure that the surface of the wooden bench is parallel to the ground and that the wall is perpendicular to it

One pleasant surprise was that (especially when watching HDR...) I don't have to monkey around with any settings to get what I consider to be an incredible image. It automatically detects the HDR video and it just looks great. The simulated HDR is also pretty impressive, although certainly not as good as "real" HDR

Projector Screen is maybe one of the best companies I've ever ordered from. Norah and Brian Gluck were giving me constant updates on when the thing would ship and all that good stuff. Brian just sent me a list of 3d glasses to choose from... Going to order a pair today, I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks again,
Steve
Hi Steve,
I just came across this post. We really appreciate your kind words and are glad that you are so psyched with our service and your projector.
Thanks again!
- Brian G @ ProjectorScreen.com

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Curious how these UST laser FPs compare to similarly priced traditional FPs like the Epson 5050UB (and 6050UB) not to mention the next tier up JVC units...

I shouldn't actually need UST for my next FP purchase (for the new dedicated HT room), but having additional (good) options is definitely a good thing especially given the limited choices (and likelihood that any current choice won't be the last for the very long haul, so the extra flexibility may be quite useful when the next big upgrade happens and this one might be used elsewhere in less ideal conditions)...

_Man_

Valheru

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Sure you guys are awesome! Can’t tell you how great it’s been to have a theater in my house this year with everything being closed. Everything looks stunning! I think the most visually impressive things I’ve watched on it is the 4K remaster of Akira and Avatar

I still haven’t spent the time to get 3D working. Has anyone else tried it?

Valheru

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Hey does anyone know where I can buy a replacement remote for the P1? Having a difficult time finding one for sale anywhere!

Users who are viewing this thread