What's new

Optical output help needed (1 Viewer)

JoshuaR

Agent
Well, I just borrowed GTA:VC from a friend and was looking forward to playing it in DTS. I have the PS2 optical port patched to my reciever (Pioneer VSX-D608) optical input 2 port. No sound. When I switch it to the optical input 1 port it works fine. I would rather not have to get to the back of the reciever everytime I switch between DVD and PS2.

How do I get my reciever to sense the Optical Out 2 port instead of just 1?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I am not familiar with the Pioneer but I would think that you would go into the menu and choose whatever video input you have used for the PS2 eg. video 3 then make sure that video 3 is set to optical 2 for sound input.;)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
On some receivers you can match video and audio inputs. That way video 1 could be a DVD player using digital coax, video 2 could be a game console using optical and video 3 could be a VCR using standard coax. If your receiver doesn't have the option of assigning inputs then optical out 2 is permanently assigned to something else, probably one of the audio inputs. If that's the case you could run PS2 picture directly to the television and select the appropriate audio jack on the receiver when it comes time to play a game.

JoshuaR

Agent
Thanks for the info so far, but... Last night I tried almost every button on the front of the reciever AND the remote trying to switch optical inputs and I could not find anything to do so... But thanks for trying everyone!!

Nick A. G.

Auditioning
Ummmmm....the PS2 does not support DD or DTS in game software; its audio hardware isn't sophisticated enough. ProLogic is the best you're going to get with that. Yes, the optical out does work for game sound, but only for 2-channel or ProLogic.

Only in DVD movie mode is the optical out capable of passing DD and DTS bitstreams to a decoder.

The X-Box is currently the only game console that offers games with discrete 5.1 sound; its NVIDIA audio chip has a built-in AC-3 encoder.

JoshuaR

Agent
Nick, not true, PS2 has several games that work in DTS. As I said it works fine when I use the Optical port 1, and I have used the port in the past on NHL 2002 which also uses DTS.

Brent, I wish I still had the manual! I've had this reciever for a couple years now and have moved several times so the manual is nowhere to be found. Thanks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks