What's new

Optical cable only for DTS&DD5.1? (1 Viewer)

Butch C

Second Unit
This may be the stupidest question ever asked but I thought I read otherwise here.

I just opened and installed my Kenwood HTB 504 (come on guys the manual wasnt THAT bad...but youd think they would recognise the fact that people actually have cable or Dish boxes)and I cannot get DD or DTS without the digital cable...I recall people saying that it does'nt matter. Am I doing something wrong or did I misread other posts?

SIDEBAR: Installed it overnight and waited until 12noon to play Pearl Harbor DTS...5 minutes into the invasion my 1yr old cousin in the apartment upstairs takes a nap! AARRGGHH

(I just got the thing...dont want to play it low! Anyone know a good daycare that I can send her to?)

IM SHAKEING THE GODDAMN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!

JohanK

Second Unit
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but the simplest way to obtain 5.1 is through the use of a digital connection (whether optical or coaxial) from a source to a receiver w/ 5.1 decoder(s). One cannot obtain 5.1 through the use of a single set of analog stereo ins/outs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Am I doing something wrong or did I misread other posts?
It sounds like you're doing it right, and yes, I think you did misread the other posts. You have two choices for getting DD or DTS 5.1 from DVD:

1. a digital connection to a receiver or processor that decodes DD and DTS; or

2. a player with a built-in DD and/or DTS decoder and six (6) separate analog connections from the player to an amp or receiver -- one connection for each channel.

BTW, the digital connection needn't be optical. It can be coax, as long as both the player and the receiver have the right connections.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks