Can't get DD5.1 or DTS to work

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Peter_J_B, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Peter_J_B

Peter_J_B Agent

Hey guys, I decided to go with an ultra low budget system for now. I couldn't really afford much, so just bought a cheap HTiB from JVC, the THB-60. Not sure if it's only available in canada or not, but it uses the 6032 receiver.

I also have the SLVD300P sony combo dvd/vcr player. I bought a "good" rp62 from panasonic, but won't hook it up until I'm in the new house and get a vcr for it, and then will retire the sony to another tv.

So, my first issue, was that I needed a cable for digital audio. The sony has both digital optical and coax out, but the panny only has optical out, so I figured I'd get the optical since the panny is what I'll be using.

So I have the sony combo unit connected to the tv via s-video, and to my receiver via optical digital.

Now when I put in a movie to watch, I can only get Pro Logic II, but when I set it to Dolby Digital, or DTS I get no sound. Of course, I expected DTS to have no sound, was testing the machine with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, which is in DD5.1. Is there any step I missed here?

Last thing while I have this thread started. I also wanted to use the HT for vcr use, so basically since it's a combo unit, I also used the regular A/V cables and took them from audio out on the combo unit, to vcr in on the receiver, which then allowed me to use pro logic for vhs. Is this the right way to do things? Or is there some superior way?

Anyway, if anyone knows what I am missing regarding getting dolby digital I'd be greatly appreciative. I read through the manual which isn't greatly detailed, but couldn't find anything that I may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance.

2. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

Well im new... very new. But this is just a thought off the top of my head about your sound problem, and i could be very very wrong too....

BUT, as far as i know you have to set the sound options from the movie menu.
    I dont know if your reciever well let you change weather or not to use DTS etc, but i have a HTib as well (Pioneer XV-HTD520) and i cant use DD5.1(EX), DTS or DPLII unless it is set in the movies setup menu.

LOTR for example, i have to set the movie to use either DD5.! or DTS, then my reciever automatically changes to DTS or whatever.

like i said, just a thought and i could(probably) be wrong.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Make sure that you have your DVD player output set to bitstream or something similar and your receiver is set to for optical 1 (or whatever) to be for the DVD player.

4. Peter_J_B

Peter_J_B Agent

Thanks for the responses guys. I do believe I had selected DD5.1 in the DVD menu. Lew, yeah the first problem I had, was that I could only get digital audio when I set my receiver to CD mode, since the coax was set to dvd, and the optical to cd. But after much fuss, and jogging I got the input selected properly. So it was detecting digital audio, but when i selected dolby it wouldn't work, but would be fine with PLII.

I didn't make any adjustments to my dvd player though, so maybe that is it? Would that make a difference for dolby or dts if it's transmitting digital already?

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, your DVD player. Go into the audio setup menu and enable "bitstream" or "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" manually. This is almost always the reason newcomers have problems getting DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 up and running.

6. Peter_J_B

Peter_J_B Agent

Thanks guys, that did it. I originally had tried to get to the setup menu but couldn't, I guess it dawned on me last night that I couldn't get to it with a DVD in the player already.

All I can say is DD is awesome, but holy crap, DTS is mind blowing.

Even a cheap HTiB is an amazing improvement to someone like me who has gone through life with TV speakers as the only audio source.

I will never go back to analog. [​IMG]

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome, then, to the world of home theater. Your bank account won't be too happy as the months and years go by, but you will be!