What's new

Opportunity to buy Loewe Articos 30 (1 Viewer)

Taylor_B

Auditioning
A couple of years ago I had a Loewe Aconda demoed for me, and needless to say, was quite impressed. Since then, I've always considered myself to be saving up for one, but was never in a position to be spending $4000 on a TV. Yesterday I found a Loewe Articos 30 demo model on sale for $1700. It comes with the small motorized stand attached (the lazy-susan kind, not the big one) and a 4 year extended warranty to boot. I'm pretty convinced I should make the plunge, but wanted to seek the advice of the sages first.

I think I have read every thread with the word "Loewe" and "Articos" in it on these forums, and here are the main reasons I have seen not to buy it:
1) Loewe is pulling out of the US market, and has some quality control issues.
Possible Rebuttal: From what I understand, their quality issues were primarily with their Aconda models' power supplies. Secondly, my 4 year extended warranty should be good for something right? :)

2) It lacks a DVI input, and is thus not "future-proof."
Possible Rebuttal: I can't tell how important this is quite frankly. What are you folks' feelings on the matter? Does this seem to be the way that device output is headed?

3) It doesn't look as good as the Sony XBR960 or XBR910.
Possible Rebuttal: I think I've found enough posts feeling both ways about the issue that it's negligible. Some folks like the Sony, and others like the Loewe. I'm going to check out the Sony today at one of the big box stores just to make sure, but I can't imagine seeing a picture I like better!

If I decide to do this, I will have to have it shipped from California. I tried getting some quotes from freightquote.com but the cheapest has been $319 so far.
Does anyone know a better way to go about this? It's over 150 pounds, so the major carriers are out. Surely someone can move these things around for under $300?

Many thanks for any and all advice.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Taylor

Welcome to the Forum.

Just so I am clear. You are very tempted to buy a demo 30 inch Loewe for $1700 plus $319 shipping. The good news, it comes with a stand and a 4 year extended warranty.

My opinion: The Sony XBR960 is at least as good a TV and it is not an extremely rare orphaned bird.

Having the extended warranty helps but even so, if there is a problem the technicians are not likely to be very familiar with the TV and what about parts availability.

Why even have to think about such problems? Do yourself a favor. Get a brand spanking new Sony.

Taylor_B

Auditioning
Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the quick reply. Okay - I'll check out this XBR960. If it's really as good as folks are saying, I'll be impressed for sure! Does it do the same stuff the Loewe does (3:2 pulldown, DMM, etc) that gives the Loewe the almost 3D, "looking through a window at real life" look?

As for the warranty, I _think_ I could still get it serviced via Loewe's service over here (as I think they've kept that here in spite of the fact that they've moved), although someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

But you're right: It might simply be easier to purchase the Sony and not worry about any of this. This is the sort of advice I'm looking for. Much appreciated.

- Taylor

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Taylor, in the year 2005, Sony's KV-34XBR960 is the state of the art for CRT-based direct-view monitors. It's the finest such device in existence. The Loewe is good, but those drawbacks are considerable. And I would never purchase a demo unit.

Surprised, though, to hear that Loewe is exiting the U.S. market.

Taylor_B

Auditioning
Yeah, the demo unit thing has me a bit freaked out too, although not as much as if it were a unit that might suffer from bad burn-in like a plasma.

I like your choice of strong words to describe the XBR960. I gotta see this thing now!

Taylor_B

Auditioning
Here's a twist. Just called around and found a brand new Loewe Articos for $1500. (One of the stores around here has them going pretty cheap). The Sony might be good, but I think I'd be hard pressed to find it for $1500. Most I've seen online are about $2000 shipped.
So now I don't have the display model crap to worry about. Now it's just a pretty TV for less money.

I'll still take a look at these XBR960s over lunch. Keep any of the advice/warnings/encouragments coming. ;)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Taylor

You seem bound and determined to get a Loewe. So just do it.

But if price is what is keeping you from getting Sony, the Sony KD-30XS955 is in the $1,200 price range and also has a stunning picture. The real heavy hitter, the 34 inch XBR960 will run you close to $2,000 but then again it is THE best direct view TV to be had.

Taylor_B

Auditioning
Wow - you're the 3rd person in a row to say that it's the best direct view TV around, and that definitely counts for something. Have you all had the opportunity to view the Sony at the same time as the Loewes? I ask not because I doubt, but because few people I have read have been able to see them running side-by-side as it were.

Now that we're on subject of this Sony TV, what has been peoples' experience with SD signals running through it? I read a couple of posts (don't remember where) that said SD signals were less than stunning on it. Since I'm sure it will be running an HD signal when I go to view it, this was a concern to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks