What's new

Opinions Wanted: TV Worth the Shipping Cost? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My Dad passed away recently and my stepmother will move back to VA from AZ.

Dad had a 4K LG TV that she doesn't want and I wanted to claim it, but I'm honestly not sure it's worth the shipping cost.

It's a 55-inch LG55UF6450, and it'd cost about $250 to ship to VA.

I poked around online to get an idea of what it's "worth" and couldn't find any on eBay or elsewhere to give me an idea.

This would just be a "spare" TV for me - I don't need it, really - and I don't want to pay $250 for a TV that's not worth much more.

Given it's a 2015 model and not one with 3D, I don't know how desirable this one would be.

Debating whether to have it shipped and make it a spare - that I don't really need - or just have my stepmother sell it at the estate sale and claim some $$$.

Thoughts?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I’m very sorry to hear about your father, Colin!

I’d say it’s probably not worth the cost and hassle to have it shipped, honestly. I’d be more inclined to sell it locally (AZ) I think.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
In the past couple of weeks I found that a 5 year old TV is worth essentially nothing. For reference I paid $450 for a NEW 2020 55" TCL that has much improved specs and was hand delivered by BB. I've had trouble even giving away the old set. The set may not sell at the estate sale so it may need to be donated.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Sorry to hear about your papa. My condolences.

On the topic of old tvs, in practice I've found that I mind as well just give away an old tv or more generally any old piece of generic non-highend electronics that is older than 4-5 years old. Nobody is going to buy old "made in china" electronics for anything more than 50 cents.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice! If it was a OLED or a 3D, I'd definitely want it, but since it doesn't have those, I really wasn't sure if I should bother.

My Dad also had a pair of B&W 704 speakers that I think I will claim.

Looking at $300 to ship those but I think it's worth it. They're in immaculate shape!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Might try selling it locally on CL, if she has some family or friends there that could help with that.

Is she coming to AZ empty handed, or is there a moving truck involved? If the latter, put the speakers on the truck and get them "shipped" for free!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Might try selling it locally on CL, if she has some family or friends there that could help with that.

Is she coming to AZ empty handed, or is there a moving truck involved? If the latter, put the speakers on the truck and get them "shipped" for free!

Using a moving truck, but stepmother downsizing from moderately sized house to a condo, so she's gonna have to sell or donate a lot of furniture and whatnot.

She quoted me an extra $300 to move the speakers, and I trust her! I've only moved with professionals once in my life - and that was moving the contents of a 1-BR apartment 2 miles, so I have no idea what the prices are like moving cross-country!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That price seems pretty steep. They could probably be shipped UPS or FedEx for no more than that, probably less. And their truck is coming to you anyway.

Regards,
Wayne

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That price seems pretty steep. They could probably be shipped UPS or FedEx for no more than that, probably less. And their truck is coming to you anyway.

Perhaps it won't be $300 and my stepmother mis-estimated or misunderstood - dunno.

I'm not going to ask her to do anything different, though, because it's too much work for her. She has so much to take care of in regard to legal areas and then moving.

Also, the movers would do the "packing" for the speakers to keep them from damage on the trip, whereas my stepmother would have to do all that work on her own via FedEx or UPS...

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to the lack of 3D, the “UF” series run a no longer supported version of their WebOS operating system. While that means nothing if you are using it for watching broadcast/cable TV and/or a Bluray/DVD player, it does mean that current versions of the built in streaming apps will probably not work, and the older ones may, or may not, still work.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the lack of 3D, the “UF” series run a no longer supported version of their WebOS operating system. While that means nothing if you are using it for watching broadcast/cable TV and/or a Bluray/DVD player, it does mean that current versions of the built in streaming apps will probably not work, and the older ones may, or may not, still work.

Streaming is meaningless to me! :)

Told my stepmother I'll pass on the TV. Dunno what she'll do with it!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Late to the thread but you have my deepest condolences Colin.

Thanks to you and others for those thoughts. It wasn't a shock that Dad passed, but it was a surprise it happened when it did.

I went out to AZ to help my stepmother with his transition to an assisted living facility - we knew he wasn't doing well, but neither of us expected he'd go before he could move in there.

I was there to assist - didn't expect it to be a formal goodbye, and I already planned to be back out for Christmas!

On the positive side, he didn't suffer and it's a relief he wasn't stuck in a hospital for a long period. The nightmare was that he'd be in some kind of vague state of consciousness for weeks, just forestalling the inevitable but in pain the whole time.

It was fast and peaceful - can't ask for much more!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Colin, I’m just seeing this thread and I too am sorry for your loss, but glad that it was more peaceful than prolonged. He raised a pretty cool son.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Colin: I just want to join the others in expressing condolences. No matter how good the circumstances, I think it's always a shock to our systems to lose a parent. God bless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks