What's new

Opinions please - Onkyo TX-SR701 or Harman Kardon AVR 7200 (1 Viewer)

Brian Lachow

Auditioning
Before you answer if your answer is Harman Kardon.

2 questions - I see conflicts does the 7200 have thx or not and is it worht the xtra money compared to the Onkyo.

Thanks

--bml

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I would get the 7200 in a heartbeat. The THX certification doesn't really mean a whole lot. Plus the 7200 has more power, weighs 30lbs more, is bigger and used to cost $1800 or more. You're comparing a $800 Onkyo to a HK that originally cost twice as much.

The Onkyo doesn't have the bass management capabilities of the 7200 either.

Other than that Steve Adams guy, the majority of people would tell you to get the HK. The Onkyo is probably $200 cheaper so if price is a concern then get the less expensive one. I just saw the 801 at Onecall for $649which is 7.1 and adds an ethernet port. I'd definitely pay the $50 over the Onecall's 701 price if you're convinced to go with Onkyo.

Brian Lachow

Auditioning
Still a n00b, but I thought THX was what I should be going for.

Let me ask you this - the 7200 vs the Pioneer VSX-53TX I've seen this really cheap and the guy at my local High end ht shop almost ruins himself when he talks about the
P elites.

I really want to make the best decision and I thougt it might be a better call.

So make the playing field as even as possible is it Onkyo 801 vs p elite 53tx vx 7200...steel cage match, who wins?

Thanks again,

--bml

Brian Lachow

Auditioning
Oh yeah - one more thing.

Can someone explain Ohms to me and their importance.

More or less is better ?

Thanks again

--bml

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
What kind of speakers are you using? I think you'll find supporters of all 3 models. Where will you be placing the receiver? If its in a cabinet don't get the HK because it needs room to breathe. It gets very warm. It needs to be in the open. Remember its pretty massive so you need to find a big shelf for it.

If it was my money I'd get the HK 7200 but I'm a huge fan of the product. The Onkyo and Pioneer Elite are very good products and people really love the Elites setup features. Your best best is to listen to them with your favorite CD to see how it sounds to you. I doubt if you'll be disappointed with any of them.

So how cheap are you talking for the 53TX?

Brian Lachow

Auditioning
OK narrowed it down to two selections.

Assuming they were the same price what would get the vote?

The Onkyo TX-NR801 or the Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX

BTW: The speakers I'm going to use are the Axioms.

I haven't heard them, but based on what I read and the converstations I've had w/ them I'm going to give them a chance. The m60ti series.

BTW thanks for all the info and opions...

--bml

Tom Sullivan

Agent
Ah, I see you're hooked on that THX logo. THX is nice in that a THX movie will sound smoother or less trebly. But any other format THX will dull it's sound. At least that's what I've found.

The HK7200 is incredibly rich with bell type highs that don't hurt your ears even at high levels. Also the bass is more musical and full. The amp does suffer from audio drop offs when first locking onto a digital signal. It a shame this isn't a firmware fixable item. But then if there was a fix you wouldn't be getting this $1799.00 receiver for $749. :)

I listened to the 701, my impression was it has a full bassy sound but not as articulate as the HK7200. JMO

Brian Lachow

Auditioning
Guilty as charged.

As much as I want to get the HK I can't b/c of that darn THX certification.

So I feel compelled to let Onkyo and Elite duke it out. Altough in reading other posts I was dissapointed to find out that Onkyo was over rating their power levels. Funny thing the guys at Axiom swear by the HK and its power and ability to handle, push, and keep up w/ the media being played, they say that HK is very conservative with it's power rating which would be the exact opposite of what Onkyo is doing.

So where do the mighty Elite's fall into this grand mix. The high shops are loaded w/ Elite's in every testing room. The Axiom guys felt that they were a bit over rated and reccomend the HK.

Here's what it could be....local high end shop has nice profit margin on Elite and Axiom just knows what sounds best w/ their speakers?

I'm leaning towards that opinion. I really thought it would be Onko but now that's seems unlikeley.

Again, I love the opinions and any facts to throw in would be great.

Also, I would of course, love to hear them in person...but I can't so...it is what it is.

Actually I've heard the 801 at Circuit City pushing a pair of polk audio rti8's...and then I heard the lower Elite pushing some paradigm. Not really a level playing field if you ask me. Of course no one had a hk7200 I could play with !

Thanks again...and keep the feedback coming.

--bml

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Get the 7200! I love mine. You will need to get the 989,59txi,47tx,49txi,4802r to be in the power range of the 7200. Don't confuse DTS with THX. The 7200 will do everything you want it to. It sounds cleaner than my 3802 and has loads of features that are always amazing me. Like full front inputs/outputs. I strongly considered the 47tx and 4802R. The 59txi is big bucks. $2600 is not an option for a receiver IMO. The 3001HK will be out shortly!

Brian Lachow

Auditioning
Well,

I think my mind is now made up. AVR 7200 it is. I wont have THX, but I think I'll still be way ahead comparativley.

Thanks again for all the help. I couldn't have come to this decision w/o your opinions.

Actually if you want to laugh look at the original name of this post and see the Onkyo I have listed there. Had it been in stock when I thought I was ready....well lets just say I would've have invested poorly.

Thanks again,

--bml

Brian Lachow

Auditioning
Well,

It is done!!

I just got off of the phone w/ onecall.com and they are the best. There price wasn't the cheapest...well actually it was the cheapest but the shipping wasn't. They matched 6ave.com and now on it's way to me is the avr7200 for $839.06 delivered via Fed Ex - should be at my door on Weds or Thursday.

Thanks to everyone for your help and if in doubt call onecall.com and talk to one of the people there they were great and can really help out w/ price - if you find it cheaper and some technical questions too.

Thanks.

--bml

Brad E

Second Unit
Good choice, you won't regret it. I've had mine for over 3 months now and I'm still in awe.

THX, in my opinion, is the biggest farce out there. There really is no rhyme or reason to what is certified and what is not.
In reality it all comes down to money. I'm sure I could get my clock radio THX certified if I slipped ol' George a couple bills.
Having said that, George Lucas is a freakin genius. I mean he makes a nice pretty logo to sell to manufacturers that can afford it and has thousands of people lined up to buy it, that don't have a clue what they are paying for.

And from what I've read, most people that have a THX certified reciever rarely, if ever, engage the THX processing.
So when you think about, George is really selling nothing. And I'm sure he's sitting back laughing at all the sheep he's herded (myself included) while he skips along to the bank.

Forget THX, I'd be more worried about not having Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

Regards,
Brad

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
If you are using a 5.1 setup then the DPL IIx isn't really an issue and the AVR-7200 is an awsome choice. That being said, even if you are planning on a 7.1 setup, the HK's Logic 7 is very nice. Logic 7 and DPL IIx are NOT the same but similar. You can do a search and check out the archives for discussions about the differences...both positive and negative for each.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I bought my 7200 from OneCall, feel like I definitely made the right decision on both the receiver and the seller. The h/k is a beautiful machine, tons of useful features, more clean power than I'll ever use. OneCall was terrific! They shipped quickly, did a great job of double-packing the 7200, called me to confirm receipt and check on my satisfaction with the receiver. I've since placed and received a second order with them, plan to do so again in the future.

Short story: Good choices, Brian!:)

StephenL

Second Unit
Unfortunately there is a lot of ignorance and misinformation about THX. Here are the facts:

THX home page:
http://www.thx.com/

Sound & Vision magazine: THX Certified
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

Sound & Vision magazine: Behind The Numbers: Digital Sound Receivers (includes THX crossover spec)
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

AVS Forum thread: THX certification process
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=122172

What is THX Home Cinema?
http://membres.lycos.fr/tessier/thx.htm

How THX works (theaters)
http://www.howstuffworks.com/thx.htm

Lucasfilm THX & Dolby Pro Logic Frequency Response Plots
http://www.cybertheater.com/Tech_Arc..._pro_freq.html

CurtisC

Second Unit
HK 7200? As long as you never listen to music you're good to go,imo.One call,if it arrives with any problem you will pay to ship it back.

Brad E

Second Unit

I agree. And it could also be said that ignorance is its best selling feature.

Curtis, why do you say the 7200 is not good for music? I play music all the time and it sounds very good.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Curtis got a bad unit IMO. I feel the music is the best part and the Surround sound is about the same as the 3802. Very clean crisp music with solid clean bass. My rear channels are a shade less in volume than the fronts. I just have not had time to play with the wires and setup. The two guilty speakers are next to the couch and covered with a towel and on the carpeted floor. So it may be a position type thing. They are also on the longest cable runs. TDY again, so I can't do a wire switch yet.:frowning:

PS/The 7200 will do 6.1 EX and 6.1 ES discrete and fill in the other non discrete channel with matrix/neo/whatever. Same with 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks