What's new

Opinions needed for best 480i (yes, 480i!) DVD player (1 Viewer)

I know that sounds a little odd, but my display is an older SD Loewe Aconda. The Aconda has a good internal deinterlacer and doesn't play well with a progressive scan player through the component inputs. What I'm looking for is a quality player for around $500 or less that will output 480i through component and work well with DVD-R and DVD+R DL. My older Denon DVD-1000 is having trouble reading many of the discs in my collection (including Video Essentials and STAR WARS) and I'll need a replacement soon. All-region capable wouldn't be bad either. I've read about the Oppo DV971H and it certainly sounds like it has the features I might want, but the reviews of the interlaced component signal haven't been stellar (one review said it wouldn't pass blacker than black on the pluge test). Does anyone know how the Oppo's interlaced picture might compare with my old Denon? And does anyone know of another player(s) that might meet my needs?
Thanks for any advice!

Hank_P

Second Unit
From what I've researched ont he Oppo so far, it will destroy any DVD player out there. I've been researching because for the price, I definitely would like to have one in my rack. I currently have a Sony mega changer and a Toshiba (4900 I think). The Toshiba is nice for a low end dvd player, but will hold nothing against what the Oppo will display. I would like to replace the Tosh. with the Oppo.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The oppo isn't highly rated for it's component 480i output though. I have one, haven't ever tried it's 480i via component, but I've read bad things about it. There are many good things about the player, it's very fast, great MPEG decoder, but bad things as well, such as jittery motion on certain DVD's like star wars.

You might consider getting an older Panny RP91. It is known for great 480i output.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I don't know about the 971...but I have been examining the 970hd VERY closely lately, and it is supposed to be stellar on 480i output...Unsure over component. That may be hdmi only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks