What's new

OpenGL subsystem error (1 Viewer)

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
I've attempted to install a couple of video games on my pc (Jedi Knight II and Battlefield 1942 demo) and the following error displayed when I tried to start the game:

GLW_StartOpenGL () - could not load OpenGL subsystem.

My computer:
Processor: PIII 600MHz
Memory: 256 MB
Hard drive: 40 GB
Video card: factory installed .

Thanks for anyone's help.

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are right. i have a voodoo card. I failed to mention that I upgraded from Windows 98ME to Win2K. I have already downloaded a new driver. Hopefully, this will work.
Thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Shawn, JK2 has SEVERE problems with the Voodoo 3 I used. Reemember you must have a 16MB card to play.

Even if you get it running, most of cutscenes will be unviewable and crash the machine. As will reloading your game after death

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If I recall, Voodoo cards are not natively OpenGL compatible and you need to download and install a "MiniGL" driver if I remember correctly. The error that you're seeing is the absense of OpenGL drivers; however, if you were using drivers that were built into Win2K, you can just about be guaranteed that there is no OpenGL compatibility installed for the card.

Hopefully your drivers will take care of it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They are native OpenGL compatible, but they're not compatible with current versions because of lack of driver updates

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
www.voodoofiles.com isn't too bad. But if Shawn can spare the $$$, I have to recommend getting a new card, particularly if he's going to play Jedi Knight II. That game kicks major ass and deserves a decent video card. :)

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
John & Jeff,
Thanks for the feedback. Can you recommend a video card that won't devastate my wallet?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I just recently bought an nVidia GeForce 2 w/ 64 MB. It wasn't a brand name, but who cares? It's still a GeForce chipset! I got it at Best buy for something like $70. A totally kick-ass card for the money that still can run every game that's out there.

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,

I just saw a Radeon 8500 for $99 linked on the [H]ard OCP site. I have one of these and it looooooves Jedi Knight II.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Don't buy anything less then a GeFORCE4 Ti4200 they go for about $130 on pricewatch.
Right. And never buy anything less than a 2.2 GHz machine with 2 GB of RAM and a 200 GB RAID-5 configuration when all you're going to do is surf the web. Whoops! Don't forget the 70GB DLT tape drive for backing up those temporary Internet files! :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks