What's new

Onkyo595 audio drop out, should I worry? (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Should I be concerned about the audio drop outs with the Onkyo, especially the 595 which I am about to get? I compared it with the Denon 1802 and as foolish as it sounds, I prefer the interface on the Onkyo though the Denon has those pre-outs which is a plus.

Anyway, should I be concerned with the audio drop out dilemma? I did some searches on this forum and I read it is a problem with the higher end Onkyos,(787 etc) as well as the 1802 Denon. However later on I read that the 595 has this problem as well. One person says they too experienced the problem with JP3 and Pearl Harbor on thier 595. One thing is if it is isolated to these 2 films but future films is what concerns me.

Would it be wise to get this now or wait on what Onkyo says?

So any advice on this would be appreciated

David Head

Second Unit
Eric,

The 595 and 696 are NOT affected by the audio dropout problem with the new DVD releases. Some people have found that they get audio dropouts with the Cinema-ReQ enabled on the 595, so maybe that's what those people were experiencing. If you can afford to step up to the 696 you'll get a full set of pre-outs. I own the 696 and love it.

David

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Thanks for the response. Why would they get drop outs on the 595 with Cinema Req?

Anyway, I will take the chance on the reciever. I noticed that there isn't much of a difference between the different Onkyos like the 595, 696 , 575 other than louder wattage and then the 696 has the pre outs. Regarding the pre outs for the 696, is it pre outs to make it 6.1 or pre outs for a whole set of speakers?

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I am affected by audio dropouts and I have an onkyo 595. It only happens in dolby digital and turning the RE-EQ off does not seem to help. I think some other people here have posted this too. So far I only experience this in pearl harbor and jurassic park 3.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
The 595 and 696 are NOT affected by the audio dropout problem with the new DVD releases.
I just helped my bro-in-law setup his Onkyo 595 that he got for Christmas. He also got a new DVD player. This was his first introduction to DD. Guess what DVD I took along to test? Yep, It was Pearl Harbor. (I got it for Christmas) Audio dropped out about every 3 minutes. He was very unhappy. I don't think I would buy this piece just based on what I witnessed. We didn't try DTS, but I suspect It doesn't share the problem. I notice that on my Kenwood VR507 the center has a tiny bit of noise on it while viewing this DVD in DD. DTS is very clear. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just got my Onkyo 595, and Panisonic VR-56 on the 22nd... I best borrow the Pearl Harbor from my parents tonight to make sure I don't get audio dropouts... :-(

Does everyone experience this? Or just a few? What other movies?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
There are a number of us, including myself, who suspect the problem may be due to the DVD player at least as much as the receiver. So if you post that you have the problem with receiver X then please tell us also which DVD player you're using. Thanks.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Damn now this is worrying me.

Bill if you can tell us how it turns out it would be most appreciated.

I am/was pretty set on this piece too. Most likely I will get it, try it out by renting Pearl Harbor or JP3

I have a Pioneer 525.

If it fails then my search begins again.

David Head

Second Unit
Eric,
Cinema Re-eq should only be used with DD or DPLII and will cause skips if used with the DTS track. I'm not sure why.
I have a friend that owns the 595 and I own a 696. Neither of us experienced audio dropouts on JP3 or Pearl Harbor. He has a Sony 550D and I have a Panasonic RV-31 DVD player. It will be interesting to see what DVD players Brian and Jason's brother-in-law are using.
The Onkyo website has this press release regarding the problem.
In this thread, a representative from Dolby posted the following comment:
Dolby has just posted the following statement at its website.
>>It has come to our attention that a limited number of consumer electronics products equipped with Dolby Digital decoders—primarily A/V receivers—experience audio muting or dropout problems with some new DVD and/or digital television content. Dolby is actively investigating this problem and is working to identify a solution for consumers as quickly as possible.
Thus far, Dolby, in cooperation with its customers and partners, has traced the issue to consumer equipment that misinterprets information found on some recently produced DVDs and digital broadcasts.
Dolby and its partners are currently working with the content industry to disable the new features in these movies and broadcasts that trigger these problems. In conjunction with this effort, we are working with the manufacturers of the affected products to identify potential consumer solutions.
Dolby will update this information as soon as a solution is identified.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I know I've had that audio dropout problem on English DD 5.1 on JP3. My receiver is the Outlaw 1050 and dvd player is the Panasonic RV-31. Oddly enough no problems with French DD 5.1 or DTS.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Based on reading about these dropouts, i believe it's an encodeing problem and not a decodeing problem. I believe this even more now after reading an OutLaw has the same issue. What do you guy's think?

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Going by the press release, it seems that it is more a software issue. Now that someone says OUtlaw has the same issue it may very well be. What now? Harmon Kardon, Yamaha? I wonder if they too will have this issue.

At this rate it could also depend on your player as well since someone with a 595 says they have no problem.

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Well, life is starting to suck!!! My New Onkyo 595 and my Panisonic DV-53 (I think that's the model) have serious Audio Drop-outs for bother Jarasic Park and Pearl Harbor...
I am not sure what to do... I got this set up only 2 weeks ago... Should I return it for a Kenwood VR-509... Or a Denon 1802... I don't know... Up till now everything sounded GREAT...
:frowning:
I might print out the press release... Call the store I got it from, and request he gives me a honest answer by Monday...
Is it the Pannisonic? Or the Onkyo? Or the DVD's?
:frowning:
Bill

Robert Kersberg

Auditioning
Just to make clear that the problem is not isolated to Onkyo receivers, there are people with Panasonic receivers and Denon receivers who have the same problem. Unfortunately only Onkyo owners seem to make themselves known on the net, or perhaps we're looking on the wrong places? I have seen messages on Usenet though from people with non-Onkyo equipment who suffer the same problem.
I hope there will be more news from Onkyo/Dolby then we have heard so far because I am having a hard time deciding between the 3802 and 797... I *had* my mind set on the 797 but the more I read on the net, the more I am starting to lean towards the 3802. You hear me, Onkyo? :crazy:

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I just replaced a two-year-old Sony STR-DE835 DOlby Digital/DTS receiver with the Onkyo TX-DS595. I used both receivers with the only DVD player that I've ever owned, which is a second-generation Sony DVP-S300.
The whole time I owned the Sony receiver I didn't have so much as a single hiccup. Last night I fianlly got the Onkyo connected. Tonight I got the dreaded audio drop-outs while watching Anchor Bay's limited edition of "The Stunt Man." I was listening to the Dolby Digital track and was not using the Cinema Re-Eq feature.
I played several minutes of several other DVDs and could not replicate the problem with any of them. I have not tried "Pearl Harbor" or "JP III." I by no means have tried every DVD player in my collection, but I will be testing several others this weekend.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I watched Pearl Harbor last night, start to finish. In English DD 5.1 I had no audio dropouts except for the one expected dropout during the layer change. I was not using Re-EQ.

Onkyo 595 Receiver, Toshiba SD1600 DVD player.

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Sould we start assuming that it's the encoding issue? And by possibly thinking about getting another DVD player to replace the Panasonic RP56, this might solve the problem... But then again... Another problem might come up...

I might just have to hold out and wait...

Bill

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Bill
I wouldn,t get a new DVD player
I experience the same problem with a
Onkyo 898 and Onkyo DV-s 535 DVD player
in my opinion its the software, Have
you had any other trouble with audio
dropouts other than JP3 and PH?.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

You are understandably concerned about the audio drop outs. Whereas some think we are picking on ONKYO, I contend that I am not. The ONKYO receivers seem to be intitiating the most threads regarding this problem here on this site. This may well be because there are more ONKYO owners than others...I don't know. Don't get rid of the DVD player or anything else. The problem is with the ONKYO. This does not mean that other receivers do not share the same problem. It looks like Dolby and the manufacturers are somewhat blaming each other. I have not read anything that definitively outlines the exact problem. My advice is to either live with the limited number of titles that have the problem and hope that no more come along or get rid of the receiver. Lacking a clear cut defintion of the problem I think it would we wise to solicit comments from people whose receivers have never had a drop out period......and find out the model and manufacuter. I have a Kenwood VR 507. I have never had a dropout. Anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks