What's new

Onkyo595 audio drop out, should I worry? (1 Viewer)

David Head

Second Unit
Jason,
I apologize for thinking that you were just trying to blame Onkyo and push Kenwood. I can appreciate that you are trying to warn people that the 595 may have a problem. You should also keep an open mind that it may be something else.
Anyone reading this post that is considering purchasing an ONKYO 595 should know that it will likely have audio dropouts
I don't think you can say it is likely just because your brother-in-law had a problem, since some 595 owners have the problem and some don't. It may still be the DVD player that has the problem. Have you tried your Kenwood (or another DD receiver instead of the 595) with his DVD player? If he replaces the 595 with another receiver and still has the problem, that will really frustrate him!
BTW. I don't think your brother is any danger of a blowout, rollover and death with the 595. :D
I do appreciate the analogy. I just wanted to point out that people that think changing the hardware to possibly make the problem disappear might not get the results they want. If Ford Explorer owners replace their Firestones with under-inflated tires, they are still not out of danger.
Can you guarantee that a different anti-piracy "solution" in the future won't cause problems on your Kenwood or my Onkyo 696? As long a we take an "I am not concerned about whose fault it is" attitude, the potential for letting the studios cause more problems in the future exists IMO.
David

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
As long a we take an "I am not concerned about whose fault it is" attitude, the potential for letting the studios cause more problems in the future exists IMO.
David,
I think it would be wiser to put pressure on Onkyo. If nobody is going to holler over this than why do they care? If everyone took your attitude and just said, "oh well it must be the fault of something other than my receiver" than I can assure you that the poor saps that have effected receivers will get no help. I think a manufacturer like Onkyo can put far more pressure on "the studios" than any average consumer like you and I.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Well I have the Onkyo 595 and thankfully I don't really care to own those DVD's but that is avoiding the problem. Since this appears to affect Kenwood, Onkyo, Denon, and Outlaw I think we can safely say that it is probably an issue with the DVD. I'm glad this was brought to my attention because now I know that if something like this happens then I don't need to go and buy something new. Also is Cinema Re-EQ on by default or do you have to turn it on. What exactly does it do? I guess I need to re-read the manual but if someone could provide an explanation that would be great.

David Head

Second Unit
Jason,

Just as I was at fault for making a blanket statement at the beginning of this thread that the 595 was not affected because my friend's wasn't, you need to stop stating that if someone buys a 595 "the odds that he will have issues with PH, JP3 and others are pretty good" just because your brother-in-law had a problem. There have been an equal number of 595 owners with and without the problem. You can not state for certain one way or another.

I'll stick with your automotive analogy. If you buy bad gas for your car, are you going to contact the manufacturer of your vehicle to complain, especially if every other gas station that you use doesn't cause a problem with your car?

We will agree to disagree on whom we should contact about the problem. You've made your point. Now we should both let it go.

David

David Head

Second Unit
Allen,

Here's the explanation direct from the LucasFilm THX site. They state it rather simply.

The first, "Re-equalization," compensates for the effect of reproducing sounds in a smaller room that have been originally processed for a large movie theater with high-frequency equalization. Without this process, the sound levels would be skewed toward the higher frequencies, making the sound seem overly "hissy" or brilliant. Unlike a large theater, the smaller video-viewing rooms in a home would not acoustically attenuate those "highs." Home THX Re-equalization restores the original flat-response characteristics before the signals are amplified and used to drive loudspeakers.

Basically the highs are boosted on the orginal soundtrack to compensate for the loss going through the screen and to some extent that which is absorbed by the audience. THX Cinema ReQ only affects the three front channels (left, center, right).

The Onkyo 595 manual states it this way:

Re-EQ (re-equalization) takes the edginess or “brightness” out of your home cinema sound to compensate for the fact that sound mixed for theaters may sound too bright when played back through speakers in the home environment.

Cinema-ReQ was off by default on my 696. You should have a button on your remote that will enable/disable it. When it is enabled, the display on the 595 will show it. Cinema-ReQ should only be used with DD and DPL sources and may cause audio problems if enabled with a DTS sound track.

David

Denny Casnellie

Auditioning
I just purchased the 595 a few days ago and I have the drop out problem. I don't understand why no one has reported a problem with the Onkyo 696 having this problem. My theory is that it's probably a chip that is used in all the upper end Onkyo receivers regardless whether they support 6.1 or not and it's probably a chip revision that was just added to the more recent manufactured receivers.

David Head

Second Unit
Denny,
I'm also curious why there haven't been any problems reported with 696. It seems to be the only one in the new lineup that hasn't had any reported problems. Your theory would sound correct if there weren't any problems reported with the 595, but that isn't the case. It's all very puzzling.
Allen,
You've welcome. Just basically a cut and paste from a couple of web sites. :)
David

David Head

Second Unit
I guess this thread confirms that Kenwood receivers may also have audio dropouts. Maybe we need another protest to the studios like the request for the Willy Wonka Widescreen DVD...

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Well I went out shopping today and the only Onkyo that did not drop was the 696. The others (595,797,898) all did. So what makes the 696 so special?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
To think people were hesitant to buy the 696 because of Sound and Vision's power test!! I lucked out and listened to my ears instead of the printed word (for a change!)

I feel for you guys. I hope there comes a resolution soon. I had a Pioneer 414 that had the lip synch problem years ago and there was no confirmation or fix. I ended up getting rid of it, although I loved the picture, and getting a Toshiba 2109 instead (which I love). So I know how liking hardware-with-a-problem is. Keep up the fight!!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks