What's new

Onkyo TX SR875 for $350 ... go for it ? (1 Viewer)

Mike Camm

Agent
Hey gang... I'm looking at upgrading to the mid level receiver class and I've been tossing back and forth the Onkyo TX-NR609 or TX-NR709... and a friend of a friend of a friend is selling a Onkyo TX SR875 for $350. He's an audiophile and takes care of his stuff... I've read the reviews on it and my only concerns are: 1. it seems to be a HEAT monster 2. buying something used I realize its a great deal... but not certain if I should go for it or get a newer one. Are the technologies any different from when the 875 came out compared to whats available now ? What do you guys think ? I don't want to pass up a great deal... but don't want to miss anything with current technology or buy something and not have the ability to take it back. I keep going back and forth on what to do... help !!! Thanks for your input... and any questions please feel free to ask if it helps with your answer. Mike

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
$350 is a great price for the 875. Even if you change your mind you shouldn't have any trouble selling it on craigslist/ebay for more than you bought it for. Just make sure it works before you buy it.

Mike Camm

Agent
That definitely makes sense. Outside of the obvious when I look at it, that the unit powers on and has sound... are there any other key areas that I should be looking for if I decide to purchase this ? I've never bought used electronics before and just want to make certain I don't get a lemon or someone else's problem. Thank you all again for your input and help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Make sure all the speaker outputs and hdmi output work. Those are the two things that semm to go a-miss the most often. Ideally, it should be hooked up to an hdmi display. Having the accessories like the remote and Audyssey setup mic is a big plus. The manual is on-line for free. Also, look closely at the hdmi connections. It's very easy to damage them when trying to shove a cable in the wrong way. I know, I've done it myself :blush: . And try to pick up the receiver at his place. This way he knows that you know where he lives. He'll be less likely to sell you a piece of junk if you know where to find him. I've bought many used receivers and stuff over the last few years off ebay/craigslist/Audiogon and so far I've been pretty lucky. Only time I got burned was when I didn't follow my own advice. Never buy anything on ebay from an electronics recycler. Someone took it there for a reason (what the ^&%#*! was I thinking) :confused: . Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.

Mike Camm

Agent
Thank you... I would have never thought about the hookups going bad or looking at them closely. I know he does have all the accessories that came with it, even the original receipt. Its currently hooked up and I'll be going over to his place to look and listen... so hopefully everything will go smooth !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks