What's new

Onkyo TX-SR703 "clicking" sound (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Onkyo TX-SR703. Every once in a while - about once a day on average - it makes an audible "click" sound. It's not coming from my speakers, but from the Onkyo itself. The sound is the same clicking sound the unit makes when switching inputs - from CD to DVD, for example.

Anyone know why this might be doing all by itself, or is there any easy fix?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what that might be. I haven't heard anything like that with My 703. Does it occur with all inputs or just with Video 1 etc?

JimmyL

Auditioning
Andrew,

I'd google this. I recall on another home theatre forum I was on a couple of weeks back (can't remember which one) some rather extensive discussion of this problem. I also recall that the forum administrator had contacted Onkyo and had an answer and I believe, a solution. Your are not the only one experiencing this. Sorry I can't recall which forum. I've been considering the 703 and found this discussion while researching this unit. By the way, how do you like the 703 and particularly how is it for just music listening?

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not having much luck finding anything when doing a Google search. Please let me know if you happen to recall.

Overall the sound quality on the 703 is very nice. I have a 5.1 speaker setup using PSB Image speakers. I wasn't sure which mode to use while listening to music, but have settled for now on one called "Stuido Mix". "Acoustic" is good for much of what I listen to as well and sometimes "All Channel Stereo". Great AVR though - many options. The setup calibration mic works really well.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

I rather like mine for movies and Tv watching. For CD's I use a Nuforce P-8 pre amp to bypass the receiver so I haven't actually listened to it for CD playback.

JimmyL

Auditioning
Joe, Sorry I cannot now find the thread and don't remember where I read it. I apparently didn't bookmark it. You might try writing Onkyo at their website under customer support. Scrool to the bottom and try their feedback form. http://www.onkyousa.com/support/

if I find the thread, I'll let you know

Dale B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joe, go to hometheaterspot and on the right you will see manufacturers spot or something like that. I just went there and your problem was just a few lines down. Good luck.Sorry,but you will have to scroll down to onkyo.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I contacted Onkyo support and they said that this is normal, which I can't bevieve. They either misunderstood or I didn't explain it right.

Is it possible that a bad Comcast cable box might be the culprit? I'm having lots of problems with that.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Any chance this might be caused by a speaker impedance setting? It's set at 6 ohms now. I'm wondering if switching it to 4 ohms might help this issue.

From the 703 owner's manual:

You can connect speakers with an impedance of
between 4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the
connected speakers is 4 ohms or more but less than 6,
be sure to set the minimum speaker impedance to 4
ohms. If you use speakers with a lower
impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels
for a long period of time, the built-in amp protection
circuit may be activated.

My speakers are PSB 4T mains (6 ohms [minimum 4 ohms]); 2B surrounds (6 ohms nominal, hitting a 4-ohm minimum) and an 8C center.

Please help!

spill

Auditioning
Real Name
JCH
Could have sworn there was an addendum in the documentation package (not part of the stapled manual) that mentioned the clicking and assured the owner that this was not a flaw in the receiver. It didn't give any details as to why it happens, though.

This happens on mine infrequently as well.

As a side question, does anyone know if there's an option to set the backlight on the remote to turn off faster than the default setting... or possibly turn it off manually alltogether when it's not necessary/only light the button depressed? I've only had mine for a couple of weeks now, but the batteries that came with the receiver are already juiced (granted, they're panasonic "non-premium" cells, but 2-3 weeks of usage still seems abnormally fast to kill them).

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I may have found the answer. I changed a couple settings for my speakers, which are not THX certified. LFE channel: 80Hz is the default, but I changed it to 90Hz (or 100Hz). Speaker Impedance: Was set at 6 Ohms, I changed it to 4 after reading my speaker specs.

Make sense to anyone?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Sure you've lowered the strain on the receiver so it'll run cooler. If it was a heat sink issue that was making noise as it got hot lowering the opperating temps would surely help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.