What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600 Locked Up! Why? (1 Viewer)

TakaM

Auditioning
Okay, I need your help.
Here's what happened.

Watched TV for about 5 hours on Sunday.
Onkyo TX-SR600 was set at Video 1, display showing Dolby Prologic II all this time.
Volume was set between 55 and 65 through out the night.
At 11pm, we decided to go to bed and tried to turn the Receiver off via remote.............no change. I tried the volume...no change. Thinking my remote has gone bad or low battery, I went directly to the receiver's switches. Pressed the power button...nothing.
Pressed every got d**n switches on the front panel....nothing. Again, "Dolby Prologic II" was displayed on the screen so the power is there.

I had to unplug and replug the receiver. Now everything is working again (for now).

As an additional note, I do think there's enough ventiliation. I do have DVD,VCR, and CD stacked along with the TX-SR600 but I also do have about 4" spaces along the sides, and bit more in the back (although the rear is enclosed). I did not have this problem when I was using Onkyo 414 Pro on the same spot for 5 years.

How could this happend? Is the TX-SR600 defective?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
I think any company such as H/K and Onkyo that release a product with known problems should be bashed. I have read numerous accounts of people with the same issues. I would like to see manufacturs get these problems nailed down, with proper testing before releasing there products. A little more quality before quantity.

TakaM

Auditioning
I'm not counting out lack of ventiliation but it now appears highly unlikely.

There are several other members reporting the lock up of which one member did mention that his TX-SR600 is set up by itself (nothing stacked) on a stand with more than adequate ventilation.

Am I mistaking that if the receiver does overheat, it will shut itself off (like most manufacturers)? Or lock up can happen due to overheating but the power stay on?

Still confused.

Any further input is appreciated.

PS. No Onkyo bashing please. I'm just trying to undestand the issue and prevent/resolve it.

TakaM

Auditioning
Lock up happened once.
Now that I think about, it's quite similar to when your computer locks up. Possible issue with the Chip inside?

I just want to know the issue before the warranty runs out so I can take the right course of action. There has been enough posts on here and at the Spot that this is not an isolated incident; hence, these posts.

Any further inputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks