What's new

Onkyo TX-SR500 vs. TX-DS494 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
First, thanks to those that have responded to my other threads on some of the other boards. Your input has helped quite a lot, and I've narrowed down my final purchase to these 2 units.

I found the Onkyo TX-SR500 at an onkyo authorized online retailer for $265 shipped. I also found a "display model" TX-DS494 for $219+tax ($237) at a local authorized retailer. It remains to be seen whether this display model comes with a manual or remote (they're looking for them), but it's never been hooked up or turned on, and would come with the full warranty.

The price difference of $28 would be nice to offset the huge wad of cables and wires I'll need, but isn't my primary concern. I'm mainly interested in which unit is better. This forum and others (cheaphometheater.com in particular) really give high marks to the 494, but I haven't read a review of the 500 yet. I'm wary to assume it's basically the same thing because they changed the model number from TX-DS to TX-SR. Either it's an upgrade (good), or they found a way to save some money in the manufacturing process (not necessarily good).

Is the SR500 just a fresh face / upgrade for the DS494, or should I stick with the older tried-and-true oft-reviewed model?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The 494 is a proven model, has DPL2, and has more power than it's rating which has been shown in numerous tests. I own H/K but I really don't know of a better entry level receiver for the money than the 494 and always recommend it.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I had a 494 for a few months. It sounded good, but it is very skimpy in the features department. It only has 3 DSPs, which do not sound good, it doesn't have speaker delay settings, it doesn't have individual small/large settings. Also the remote is one of the worst I have ever seen. THings that are pluses: aluminum front panel, binding posts for al speakers, dot matrix display, s-video, price, sound quality. I justed wanted more features and a better remote so I sold it and got a Yamaha RX-V520, which I like a lot better.
AS for the SR500 vs. the DS494: not much changes. the 500 has 65 watts per channel as opposed to the 494's 55, but I doubt they are really different becasue the 494 was tested to put out 67 watts a channel. The 500 has front panel a/v inputs w/ s-video. There may be a couple more changes, but none i see that are major.
SO you are absolutely sure you want the Onkyo? I would suggest the Yamaha HTR-5540 or RX-V430 (same unit). They have more features. Take a look.
Later

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I've thought about the yamaha units you suggest, but the yamaha website indicates that they do not have S-Video switching. That's a feature I know I'll make great use of, and you have to go up one level with the yammies to get it. I just don't have the $$ for it. :frowning:
Thanks for the suggestions, though!!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I don't own either receiver, but I have considered 494 before purchasing my stereo Onkyo TX-8511 for my mostly music system. Don't know if this applies to you Jeff, but the 494 has a phono section. I remember a review of the 494 mentioned that its phono section was actually very good, considering the retail price of the receiver. So, if you need to plug a turntable into the receiver, get the 494.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks