What's new

Onkyo TX-DS989 with THX Ultra 2 for $1795.12 Shipped FedEx 3rd Day! (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
OneCall has the Onkyo TX-DS989 Upgraded to THX Ultra 2 for $1795.12 shipped FedEx 3rd Day!

OneCall has a HUGE deal on Onkyo`s flagship receiver, the TX-DS989 upgraded to THX Ultra 2. It`s a 7.1 channel receiver with a full 7 channels of amplification at 130 watts per channel at 8 ohm and 170 watts per channel into 6 ohm. It gives you all of the decoding you want, DTS-ES Matrix & Discrete, DTS-Neo:6, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, and THX Surround EX. It has high quality 192kHz/24-Bit x8 DAC`s, and full bandwidth HDTV capable component switching. The upgraded THX Ultra2 version gives you DTS 96/24, a variable subwoofer crossover, and of course, the latest THX Ultra2 certification. If you have a standard TX-DS989, you can have it upgraded by Onkyo for $500 plus shipping. OneCall is an Onkyo factory authorized etailer. These units from One Call have the THX Ultra 2 included. Click here or go to the Deals Page to read more on this unit.

This gives you a $1250 discount off of the normal $2999 price at OneCall! Click on the above link and get the receiver for $1749 plus just $46.12 for FedEx 3rd day shipping, bringing your total to $1795.12. Expires 2/13/03 at 11:59pm Pacific.

Parker

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Eric Lo

Agent
I have the same question as Mark wondering whether the unit is referbished with upgrade... especially since a new TX-DS989 costs $2,999 and the upgrade itself costs $500... the OneCall deal sounds fishy to me. Can anyone verify that deal?

-- Eric :confused:

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
I've just talked to OneCall and these are not refurbished units. These were originally version 1's that were upgraded to version 2. This was some kind of special buy out from Onkyo.

StevenK

Second Unit
Why would anyone pay $1800 for a reciever. Don't you think that's kind of dumb.
What's dumb is statements like those. Everybody has their own preference. I may prefer seperates, but the arguments for receiver are compelling and equally correct IMO.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
The real question is why would anyone want Onkyo??
I know you probably said that with some tongue in cheek, but I will say that I have never owned Onkyo (although a roommate had one of their stereo receivers in College) but I have always been impressed with how well Onkyo has followed up on the upgrades with this unit. When I saw this thread this morning I remembered back to when I was debating about getting this receiver Christmas of 2000 but I decided to go with separates. I will say that had I bought the Onkyo instead I would have been more than pleased with the follow up and support they have had with this unit. Its longevity is a testimonial for what the company Onkyo used to represent.

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
You mention "What Onkyo used to stand for"??? Do you feel they have lost their edge?? It appears that the Integra line came out with a blast, and has fallen short by far as well.

What is your play on HK, Yamaha, Marantz, and JVC. Just curious and looking for an additional unit. Thanks.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Onkyo has had some issues with recent Receivers that most
people here are well aware of.

But beyond that we can nit pick any company.. Look at the
whole center channel hiss fiasco that is still on-going
with Harmon Kardon Recievers.. And there have been issues
with others like the Sony ES line and the volume knob that
has a mind of it's own..

I have owned my Onkyo TX-DS 787 Receiver for 2 years now
and not once has it let me down. I was so impressed with
the Reciever that I added on the Onkyo M-282 Power Amp and
I am using that to run the HF side of my mains.

It's a very smooth sounding Reciever for audio and it does
a spectacular job with DVD and while there are much better
seperates (and even better Recievers also) for the price
range they are hard to beat.

That price from OneCall though, that's too good to be true
and I don't think I would buy one from them.. Something
about that price is just too cheap... We are talking about
a Reciever that routinely sells close to it's 3K MSRP...

Eric Lo

Agent
Well, the deal is expired and the factory upgraded TX-DS989 is now back to $3,000 a piece.

-- Eric

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
Another 989 owner chiming in. I have had my receiver for 2+ years now without any issue. Onkyo has stepped up to the plate twice now with upgrades. I have read on countless occasions on all the other companies that say their equipment is upgradeable and never deliver. The 989 is one hell of a receiver!

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Gary. The Onkyo 989 is a real flagship receiver. It has tested to put out about 130 w/ ch to all 6 channels. It is super quiet(the first batch had a loud fan but all of the newer models do not have this problem). The company has kept its promise to upgrade it--once with a CD-ROM and the other time with a hardware upgrade. Also, unlike Denon, the upgraded receiver is still the flagship.

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
I'll let you guys know on Tuesday when I receive my 989 from OneCall if it's the real deal or not.

Tim Reed

Grip
Onecall - - Huppins - - IS an authorized Onkyo dealer. When you buy from Onecall you get a legitimate receipt (from Huppin's) with full warranty - - and you can use that to take the Onkyo to any authorized service shop.

I just bought the Onkyo TX-SR800 from Onecall after months of following this and other forums. Delivery to MD was a day ahead of schedule. Double-boxed. Onkyo arrived in perfect condition. So far, the Onkyo is better than I thought it would be. My comparison is against a Yamaha 2092 (as pre/pro)/Odyssey Stratos setup (as good as it gets for 2 channel amps). The Onkyo 800 is superior to this setup (in pure direct, 2 channel mode) and produces a more natural, real, detailed sound. I have yet to get the entire 5.1 systems assembled - - about two more weeks, so I've only be able to check out about 75% of the receiver's capabilities.

By the way, for me it came down to Onkyo (only the 800 model) and Yamaha (1300 and 3300). The principle criterion that drove this was reliability (but sound quality and features were major criteria also). I went with the Onkyo 800 over the Yamaha for two reasons - - (1)it has subwoofer crossovers of 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, vs Yamaha 90 only (that is simply too high a set point), and (2) Onecall is an authorized dealer and a very good deal could be had, whereas Yamaha can NOT (RX-V line)be purchased online from an authorized dealer (so its a little more risky - - not much given Yamaha's reliability - - the best of any brand I'm aware of - - I have yet to have a piece of Yamaha equipment fail on me in over 22 years - -i.e., it all is still working !).

Sounds like people missed out on a great receiver (989) from a great online retailer at a great price.

JackS

Supporting Actor
To my knowledge, One Call is an authorized dealer for everything they sell. There are proclamations all over their site stating this. If you shop by brand, You'll notice the little "authorized" logos which resemble a seal or stamp of approval. If I were shopping their site and didn't notice this "seal", I think I'd call and ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks