What's new
World Wide Stereo

Onkyo Owners Wanted... (1 Viewer)

Brett Sw

Agent
Is it me or my Onkyo HT-500...??? I have read my DVD (Sony NC615) & HT Receiver manuals cover to cover several times and cannot for the life of me get my receiver to play in any other mode other than Pro Logic II. My aim is simply to playback in DTS.

You know I could just be an idiot, and my wife would probably agree, but I'm willing to face that potential fact if only to get DTS mode to work...!!!

Thanks for the help...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

AaronJB

Second Unit
You need to go into your DVD's operating menu and make sure that DD/DTS output is enabled. Not familiar with Sony models, so I don't know exactly how you go about getting to the system/operating menu for that player.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If the first two reply's didn't work you may also need to go into the DVD's menu and select DTS. Many disks default to DD 5.1 or sometimes even DD 2.0. Don't give up. Someone here will have the answer sooner or later. Gene

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
On mine, you have to setup the reciever to recognize the digital input for the player.

Something like "DVD => Optical 1" Substitues "Optical" for "Coaxial" if that is what you use.

Next you have to make sure you DVD player is setup to output the DD/DTS signal.

Last you when start the movie, go into the sound/language setup and choose DTS

Dave>G

Auditioning
I have the HT-R510 and had similar trouble getting DTS to work. My problem was that I had the optical cable in optical 2 input on the reciever instead of otical 1 input. Just something you might want to double check.

Brett Sw

Agent
Thanks for the tips:emoji_thumbsup: ...I'll check all of them out when the holiday visitors and visits subside. Thanks again...!!!

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
If your Onkyo is listing Pro Logic II then it's getting a stereo signal from the source. I just went through the same thing when I setup my TX-SR501. The DVD player was still sending a stere signal to the receiver over the toslink cable and converting it to Pro Logic II. Once I changed the settings in the player to pass Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS instead of stereo everything has worked as it should.

You need to configure your DVD player to enable Dolby Digital and DTS output and use an optical or digital coax cable, as well as select it from the DVD since most DVD's default to Dolby 5.1 unless they are DTS only or may even default to 2 channel stereo for older material. Looking at the manual for your changer on Amazon, it appears what you need to read to get that working is on pages 24-26, 61, and 65-67 and you need to have the digital coax connector hooked up to the digital coax input of the Onkyo since it doesn't list a toslink in the manual. You also need to set the digital coax connector as the audio input for whatever video channel you're using. If your DVD player does have a toslink connector and the manual is wrong, then use the toslink connector instead.

The short of it:
Power on your DVD player and press stop.
Press the display button on the DVD remote (round button in the center of the 4 buttons that form a circle around it at the bottom)
Press Up/Down arrows to select "Setup" and press enter.
Press Up/Down arrows to select "Custom" and press enter.
Press Up/Down arrows to select "Audio Setup" then press enter.
Verify/change the following settings. WRITE DOWN WHAT'S LISTED ON THE SCREEN BEFORE MAKING CHANGES JUST IN CASE! :)
Audio ATT: off.
Audio DRC: Standard
Downmix: Normal.
Digital Out: On.
Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital.
DTS: On.

This should allow your player to pass either a Dolby Digital or DTS signal to the receiver, depending upon what the source material supports and is set to in the audio setup menu. This is similar to what had to be done to my player before it would pass the signal on to my Onkyo receiver.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
All of the above but one small point, when programming the DVD player, make sure there is no disc in the machine or the player will think you are trying to setup the disc.

Peter m.

Brett Sw

Agent
I know for sure I have to start with a digital cable. Then I can dive into the other items on the checklist. Thanks for all the help and hints. I'll post the outcome when I get it worked out this weekend. Thanks again...!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Theron D

Auditioning
I've been working at the dreaded circuit city for the past few months, and you would be surprised by how many people run into this same problem. I can not come up with a legitimate reason Sony has default settings with the digital outputs turned off, DTS turned off, and DD set to PCM. Makes me wonder how many people don't even realize that they have all this nice equipment but aren't taking advantage of it because of difficult factory settings. Makes me say BOOOO to sony.

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Theron, it's to start at the lowest common denominator so that the unit works with the most people off the bat, and those who need to change the configuration to fit their needs, which is actually the minority of DVD player owners, can do so. The units come configured so that they can be plugged directly into the TV and just work. If they set it up with high end features enabled by default instead of the analog audio outputs, your average Joe would get it home, plug it in, and then wonder why get got no sound on his TV. They also expect that someone who's going to purchase the gear to use with a receiver/decoder is going to know how to read the manual to set it up.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
The newer Onkyos are smarter than that. They will automatically scan the inputs and select the best signal. If his DVD player is connected with a digital cable, the Onkyo will find it and use it, most likely.

Then it's a simple matter of making sure the DVD actually has a DTS track, and selecting it from the DVD title menu (look for "Languages" or "Audio/video setup" or such). Most, if not all, DTS discs do not default to the DTS soundtrack but rather a Dolby 2.0, or possibly Dolby Digital 5.1 track, for compatibility.

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, which Onkyo models are you talking about? The TX-SR501 doesn't do this, but I have no experience with the other models. On the 501 the audio inputs have to be manually configured. The DVD input uses Optical 1 for it's audio input by default. Video 1 uses an analog input by default but can be configured to use Optical 2.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Joseph. My Onkyo TX-DS676 when purchased
has all the factory settings. One have to set up the
menu required in the receiver in order to accommodate
the play back source that is connected to it.I doubt that
latest Onkyo models will 'auto detect' what's being plugged
into it.

The idea is to give the user choices and experience to set
up the system.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Set your DVD player up to put out a stream to the reciever and let it recognize and select the correct format. On my JVC its called "Stream/PCM".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks