What's new

Onkyo ONK HTS650 not component video? (1 Viewer)

alex_d

Auditioning
when they say the reciver has 4 S-video ports, why does a reciver even have s-video ports? if i buy a dvd player and i am using component video will it not work with this reciver or?... im really confused and noob ;

jeff.wright

Auditioning
I have this receiver and I just plugged my component cables directly into the TV, bypassing the receiver altogether. The S-Video I use for my SAT and VCR connection.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
"Why does a receiver even have s-video ports?"

??? So you can plug S-Video devices into the receiver and then pass S-Video to the TV. Not everyone has a component TV.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
and i am using component video will it not work with this reciver
How you wire things up can have a dramatic difference on how simple the system is to use.

Ideally, all audio & video would flow through the receiver so selecting sources uses 1 remote/button push.

My advice to you would be to:

- Run component video straight to the TV from the DVD player
- Run SVideo from EVERY other component through the receiver, including the DVD player (Yes, both outputs should work at the same time)
- 1 SVideo cable from the receiver to the TV.

Normal Operation: TV is seeing the SVideo feed from the receiver. You want to pause the DVD to channel surf on some other device, grab the receiver remote and audio + video switches with 1 button press. The wife/girlfriend/kids can all quickly learn to use the system.

For your serious DVD watching, you take the extra step to grab the TV remote and switch to the direct/component inputs. But then you must also flip the TV input back to SVideo to enable you to see the other devices.

Hope this helps.

Troy_A

Auditioning
I don't know why you would want to route component video thru the receiver anyway. Those cables are usually at least 30 bucks a pop. Go straight to the TV and save yourself from buying 2 cables. Receiver handles the audio. Let your TV handle the video. IMO ;)

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you could have more than 2 devices that can use component video (HD Cable, DVD player, and ReplayTV, for instance), but only have 2 component inputs on the back of your TV...

Me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks