Onkyo and...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pedro Diaz, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

I have been reading post in the forum.

A lot of brands are not available in my country but Onkyo, Kenwood, Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Harman Hardon and others are all around.

Im looking for a receiver or maybe a HTiB setup. Which brands I should avoid? Pioneer? Sony? Kenwood?

Which brands I should embrace? Onkyo? Marantz?

When looking for a receiver, which features I should be looking? Which features are important?

Thank you very much.

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Go ahead and punch up HTiB on the search function for your research on HTiB. This will give you plenty of info.

3. PeerG

PeerG Auditioning

I just purchased the Onkyo LS-V950 HTIB system and it has all of the features I need and more: small front and rear wall/ceiling mounted speakers, very clear-sounding center speaker, powerful subwoofer and progressive scan DVD/receiver unit for my limited shelf space. The DVD receiver also offers the following features that I found to be very useful: All-channel set surround sound mode (useful for non-surround sound broadcasts, this function distributes the front speaker volume to all speakers), receiver display dimmer (useful when watching a movie in a completely darkened room and when the receiver is located just above the TV), separate speaker volume adjustment function on the remote, and three subwoofer modes. The fornt/rear speakers are not very powerful (40 watt RMS), but they're great for people who don't watch movies or listen to music at a sound level high enough to rattle the windows and irritate the neighbors. Overall it's a great value (I got mine for $799 on the Internet) for my needs.

4. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Ok... I have read a lot and this is what I think is better.

A TX-SR600 or a TX-SR700 Onkyo receiver with the Onkyo Surround Sound Speaker System (ONK SKSHT500).

Acording to the CC website the SR700 receiver is $759.99, the SR600 has a 469.99 tag and the Speaker System is $249.99.

Also I can buy the HTiB combo (HT-SR650) which, I think, has a TX-SR500 receiver, for $499.99

With the SR700 I have a $1,009.98 total
    With the SR600 I have a $719.98 total

I can afford the $719.98 combination. Maybe, with a lot of sacrifice I can reach the 1,009.98 combo.

Which one would you buy?

Or should I look into another brand or combo with that amount of money?

Thank you very much

5. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Mmmhh, searching in the web, I found a Harman Kardon receiver in $399.98 USD.

It is a brand new AVR320.

Which one is the best option? The Onkyo SR600 ($469.99)or the HK AVR320 ($399.98) ?