What's new

Onkyo 898 vs Pioneer 45TX (1 Viewer)

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
I have finally narrowed it down to these 2 receviers. Both can be had for about the same price.

Which one would you guys recomend and why. I like that the 45tx has the MCACC auto setup thing. They both seem almost exactly identical in specs.

I will power my front speakers with a Carver AV705X. I will only being powered my rears with the receiver. Do both receviers let you reassign the amps? In other words if I use the carver for the fronts can I use the speaker out on the receiver for a second room?

Also, I use a pronto so am not to worried about the remote.

TIA

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I would say get the 45tx because of the MCACC it's really everything everyone says it is. If everything else is the same then definitely get the 45tx. Also with the 45tx you can reassign amps for another room, I've never done it with my 49tx but I've never had the need.

Daniel Smith

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I have the 898 and I use it and completely enjoy it as a pre/pro. I even liked it when I used it to power my 7.1 setup directly.

That being said, I would choose the 45TX because of the MCACC mentioned above. I would choose the 45TX mainly because it is a newer design and the 898 is being replaced by the 900 in the near future. The 898 should become cheaper than the 45TX soon.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Harold,
I had the Onkyo 797(same processing as the 898) and now have the 45tx. Processing on the Onkyo was excellent. Processing on the 45tx is also excellent. The 45tx Auto MCACC is WORTH every penny. Hook up the mic, sit in your primary listening position, and let it do it's thing. It calibrated so much better than i could ever do with a SPL meter. BTW, i also had the Carver A705. What a great amp, wish i never sold it(although i do love my Acurus 100x3). The Onkyo and Carver combo would be excellent, but i believe the 45tx/Carver combo would have a slight edge. Good luck with a tough decision!

Dalton

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I think the Onkyo 900 will be a great machine. This would be a hard decision. I had a 595 for a 90 day test and loved it.

I think the MCACC on the 45 sets it apart a little from the pack. But, if your into the net music thing maybe the 900 has an advantage.

Tough decision.

Mike

Wolfgang.K

Agent
Also look at the Integra line from Onkyo. I'm seriously considering the 45TX or the Integra DTR-7.3 when it comes out some this month/next month. I have compared the 45TX to the Integra DTR-7.2 and have to say for music, the Integra beat hands down. The 7.3 will have some interesting features similar to the Onkyo 900. Check it out at their Site. http://www.gspr.com/integra/dtr73.html
Wolfgang

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks