What's new

Onkyo 898 owners I need your help (1 Viewer)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I've got a question for 898 owners regarding video input.

The component video switching looks great. There is a problem I have with the composite to svideo conversion. I can run svideo and coposite out from most of my video sources to different inputs on the 898. For example I can run the LD output to video 1 on svideo, and video 2 via composite. I can run compsite and svideo out to input 1 (svideo) and input 2 (coposite) on my tv.

If the LD source is svideo and the reciever is ouput either svideo or composite the picture looks great. If the LD source is composite and the output is coposite to the tv it also looks great. If the input is composite and svideo is used to the tv I have problems. There is a cross hatch pattern that is visible on the tv. Almost always and much worse on colors like red.

First does anyone else have a similar setup? (kinda redundant to have svideo and composite inputs and outputs to the reciever, but for LD testing it was the only way to go) If you do have a similar setup can you tell me if you notice the same problem? The source can be any composite source to the receiver, the output needs to svideo for the problem to show.

Thanks for any help!

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I also have an 898. I use the component to s-video feature for an UltimateTV receiver and notice the text of the on-screen guide is much less legible than if I use straight composite to composite. I can't tell as much difference when I am viewing an actual TV show. Based on my experience you get the best picture quality if you don't do any conversions in the receiver. The only reason to do it would be for the convienience. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Jay

Jason_H

Second Unit
I have experienced the same issues with my Onkyo 898, Jeff. I guess it just boils down to the composite->svideo conversion kinda blows. I have a feeling that any reciever with this feature probably does the same thing. I just don't use it, I run straight composite to composite...I think the only real source I have (that I bother to run through the receiver) that still uses composite is laserdisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks