What's new

Onkyo 797 & "Late Night Mode" (1 Viewer)

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, either I'm blind, or it's not really clear in the manual...any clue how I turn on Late Night Mode? I'm currently in an apartment, and still have to do the volume up/down thing when watching movies...an annoyance. I DID find a reference to it that said it only worked on Dolby Digital sources. Fine...that's my primary use. So how do I turn it on? I turn the volume down due to explosions and such, and then can't hear dialog. Turn it up to hear, and explosions blow me off the couch, not to mention pissing off the guy downstairs.
Home theatre...what hell. ;)
Thanks,
Seth

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Hello Seth
What you want to do is to go inside the receiver's menu and select part three, option three (3-3). That will get you to the sound effect setting where you can adjust the Late Night option on either low for a lowered dynamic range, or high, for a further narrowed-down dynamic range. It does fill the room, admitingly, yet you can only turn it down so low before the late night effect begins to go away. Me, I have found it quite advantageous to just simply keep things as they are and just not activate late night--and I notice my sound field goes down much better this way than it would using late night.
Just what I have found on my 797, Seth. Thatn's all. Try it and see how it would work for you--and let me know how it does, please. Thanks. :)

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Hey Seth,
I've found that the best things that Late Night Mode controls are low-level bass output and high-frequency type SPL, if you will. This is only on the "High" setting. If you like a fuller-bodied setting, try Re-Eq and turn your Sub Level down a few notches and you'll get a clearer sounding night level without so much processing. Again, your own personal preferences :)
Matt

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. It definitally does "something" when turned on alright. But...I guess I'll leave it off and just stick with the way it is and hope a house comes my way sometime soon.
Thanks for the help! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks