What's new

One simply question..please help me... (1 Viewer)

emanuele

Auditioning
Is it true that if we have a dipolar speakers as surround we have to put them more high than the "normal" speaker, and also lateral and not slightly behind the hear point???
Many thanks!!!

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Yes. The dipolar speakers are intended to hide their actual location and simulate the diffuse effect of multiple surround speakers. This is accomplished by having the two radiation patterns exiting the speaker out of phase with each other. A null then exists exactly at right angles to those radiation patterns (a null straight out from the speaker). By positioning the speaker such that the null is directly pointed at the listening position (straight out from the listener) the amount of directly locatable sound from the surround speaker is minimized. The reflected and diffused sound from the two polar radiations then fill in from multiple directions and one achieves a diffuse surround sound field. Mounting the surrounds above ear level also helps heighten this effect.
The advent of 5.1 discrete and even more discrete channel sound systems has given rise to some recordings, notably music discs, which are mixed to be heard with surround directionality rather than diffuse field surround. In these cases, bipolar, tripolar, or even direct radiating speakers are used to create a more locatable sonic image.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

emanuele

Auditioning
OK...
So is it right to put them at about 2.20 meters?
But if the goal is to not individuate the source of the sound, how can I know if the sound or a voice became from my shoulders???
I mean, some effects "play" with the fact that I feel that the sound behind you..

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
2.2 m in height should be high enough. You are correct in wondering how a sound can seem to be behind you. This is done by playing the surrounds in phase with each other, but it still is not an entirely solid placement. That is the role of the center rear speaker in 6.1 channel systems.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks