What's new

One montor for two computers? (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm trying to find out if there are any splitters or switch boxes that would allow me to use on monitor for 2 different compuers.

Thanks in advance.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Here at work we use Linksys 2 port KVM Switches. They are also avaliable for connecting 4 computers to one monitor. There are similar products from other companies too. Do a search for "KVM" (keyboard, video, mouse).

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I believe belkin makes a nice KVM switch for SOHO use.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I run a Belkin OmniPort which allows 4 PCs to be connected (a 2-PC more than 8 are available too).

It's pretty good. A KVM switch connects your monitor, mouse and keyboard and allows them to be shared between multiple PCs. I was concerned about degradation of video quality but I can't honestly see any difference at all. One thing though - you must use good quality cabling and they're not particularly cheap, especially over long runs.

The only complaints I have about the Belkin concern the mouse. Often 'lose' the mouse when switching. Switching back and forth again sorts it out, but it is a little annoying. I've also noticed that the smoothness of pointer movement is affected when switching. Sometimes it's perfect, other times it's not as smooth. A bit odd really. Again, switching it back and forth can help but it's harder to get rid of - however removing the mouse connection from the front of the KVM switch then reinserting it always corrects the smoothness.

You can, by all accounts, get better quality KVMs than the Belkin.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
The only complaints I have about the Belkin concern the mouse. Often 'lose' the mouse when switching. Switching back and forth again sorts it out, but it is a little annoying. I've also noticed that the smoothness of pointer movement is affected when switching. Sometimes it's perfect, other times it's not as smooth. A bit odd really. Again, switching it back and forth can help but it's harder to get rid of - however removing the mouse connection from the front of the KVM switch then reinserting it always corrects the smoothness
I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this... I have several Belkin KVM boxes at work (all 4 port) and I experience the same thing. The display and keyboard never exhibit any problems, but the mouse does the same thing you describe. And... unplugging and plugging back in also works for me (but it's a pain in the ass!)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I have the D-Link and it works really well. I have a Belkin at work, and I can't stand it -- the keyboard shortcut is very tempermental and it occasionally loses mouse or keyboard connectivity (doesn't happen that much anymore for some reason).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks