One montor for two computers?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian Lawrence, May 2, 2003.

1. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I'm trying to find out if there are any splitters or switch boxes that would allow me to use on monitor for 2 different compuers.

Thanks in advance.

2. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Here at work we use Linksys 2 port KVM Switches. They are also avaliable for connecting 4 computers to one monitor. There are similar products from other companies too. Do a search for "KVM" (keyboard, video, mouse).

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I believe belkin makes a nice KVM switch for SOHO use.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I run a Belkin OmniPort which allows 4 PCs to be connected (a 2-PC more than 8 are available too).

It's pretty good. A KVM switch connects your monitor, mouse and keyboard and allows them to be shared between multiple PCs. I was concerned about degradation of video quality but I can't honestly see any difference at all. One thing though - you must use good quality cabling and they're not particularly cheap, especially over long runs.

The only complaints I have about the Belkin concern the mouse. Often 'lose' the mouse when switching. Switching back and forth again sorts it out, but it is a little annoying. I've also noticed that the smoothness of pointer movement is affected when switching. Sometimes it's perfect, other times it's not as smooth. A bit odd really. Again, switching it back and forth can help but it's harder to get rid of - however removing the mouse connection from the front of the KVM switch then reinserting it always corrects the smoothness.

You can, by all accounts, get better quality KVMs than the Belkin.

5. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Thanks for quick replies.

7. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I have the D-Link and it works really well. I have a Belkin at work, and I can't stand it -- the keyboard shortcut is very tempermental and it occasionally loses mouse or keyboard connectivity (doesn't happen that much anymore for some reason).