What's new

One Hundred Albums You Should Remove from Your Collection Immediately (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jim_C is right. This article is really funny, and it's meant to entertain and give some funny opinions on popular and classic recordings. The reason he's not dissing N'Sync is that no "serious" music lover or critic has put them on a pedestal. Come on guys, have you never read ANY British music magazine? :)
/Mike

Jim_F

Screenwriter
A few grins there, he skewered a few of my all-time favorites.
I'm not masochistic enough to admit exactly where I agree with the author.;)

Geno

Supporting Actor
So if I have half of those CD's, am I supposed to sell them?
This guy must like riverdance.[no offence to the others who do] Although Im not taking his list seriously, I would have to comment on his musical taste. My biggest beef: his beef with the Grateful Dead. OKOK so the prefered CD's to have of the dead are all live but hey they are remastering American Beauty and some other studio albums on DVD-A. But Cmon, this guy probably doesnt listen to any original songs. he thinks N-sync is talented and Britney's vocal range is what makes her so popular. Cmon, he dissed MILES DAVIS?!?!?
anyway, thats my rant. he does have a way of wording his disgust though.
I can't wait to read his forthcoming "one hundred albums you show add to your collection".
We all know what this list will consist of: Barney's Christmas Album, John Wayne Bobbit does Country, Shamikqu,
R-Kelly, Bill Clinton does rap!!!
:) :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I love his comment about the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, in fact I listened to it the other week and was thinking the same thing:

/Mike

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
My 3 copies of INXS Listen Like Thieves are hitting the trash. I don't need cancer

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Saw that list....rather stilted criticisms.

...and these guys really loathe Sting...

I LIKE Sting!

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
His writing, I believe, is firmly tounge-in-cheek. Really.
I'd have to agree. I remember in High-School English we had to write about something we absolutely loved, but only give the negative parts about it. It is amazing how obscure some of those titles are and how only a music aficionado would make a list like that. I've got quite a few of those albums and love quite a few more.

LOL

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I think the photos pretty much capture the spirit in which one is supposed to take the article; for instance, a 3 step instruction on how to step on a CD?

This is definitely tongue in cheek.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Toungue in cheek, maybe, but even though I'm a Beatles fan, I have to agree with Let It Be.

Recorded during the lowest of the lows, the album is at best a good rehearsal. The only difference between the unreleased Get Back and Let It Be, was said by John Lennon, in Rolling Stone who said that Spector took "The shittiest bunch of shit" and made it a tolerable album, because the Beatles themselves threw the tapes in the corner and washed their hands of the project.

Sgt. Pepper is a great concept album, if you like high art. Rockers who discover this for the first time are going to be a bit surprised - "I Saw Her Standing There" or "Help!" are not part of the equation here...A grand album of self indulgence, part of a list of great albums, but not an everyday listening experience these days.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
This is deja vu.

I can't help but feel I've read Henry's comment before despite the fact that he wrote it today.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

FWIW, I hate the Grateful Dead and Nirvana also.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
Hating the Grateful Dead is wrong,simply wrong imho......kind've like hating apple pie.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
I realise this is meant as a joke but i guess I just don't "get it". I read some of the quotes, mainly the ones for albums that I have (only 14 on the list) and didn't find it very funny. When the only argument you have for removing Bob Marley's Legend album from your collection is because "people play it a lot", then I kinda think you've lost your credibility.
I found it amusing that the 3 tracks from Bowie's Hunky Dory they chose to illustrate is unworthiness, are 3 of my 4 favorite tracks from that album. So, that my taste in music is diametrically opposed to theirs kinda makes me feel good.
There are many CD's in my colllection that I would get rid of if there was ever a need to get rid of them but the 14 on that list that I own are not among them.
The ironic thing is that the list itself exemplifies what the writers of the list are trying to make fun of.
the list is here for those that missed it first time around
http://www.garageradio.com/modules.p...rticle&sid=533

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Robin, thanks for the link.

I love this list. I think most of the hostile responses to it have missed the point. It's not so much an attack on the music as the posturings of critics and/or fans who have (over-) rated some of these albums like they're holy writ.

The only regret I have is that there's no Bob Dylan or Beach Boys on the list.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I think people who have issues with the article need to lighten up. The guy was making a great stand that there are artists/albums that critics have suddenly given Christ-like reverence to and he's there to knock it down, regardless of who he may offend. I like The Beatles and think Sgt. Pepper is their best album, but come on, his stand on it was hysterical because people really do have a "you don't like the Beatles!?!?!?! your mom sucks too!" attitude.

There's a number of albums on the list I personally love but I didn't feel any anger reading it.

Seriously tho, I don't understand why people are upset over the guys bash towards Radiohead. I for one agree that they are unlistenable. It's sad that fans of an artist who is considered an "Acquired taste" can't realize that it's not a taste everyone acquires. I adore Bjork but yet realize that the majority of my friends can't stomach the sound of her music, I am the same way towards Radiohead. But since critics have put them on a Christ-like pedestal, we're not allowed to voice if we dislike them.

I hated that one of the Dead fans had to throw in a little diss to Madonna in here. I like maybe three Grateful Dead songs, but yet I own every album Madonna's recorded. They are totally different and uncomparable that I don't see why someone goes "how can you say the Dead are unlistenable and then like Madonna?". If you're going to throw in a bash to a band ala the Dead, throw it at Phish or Dave Matthews, at least they're the same genre.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
It's not so much an attack on the music as the posturings of critics and/or fans who have (over-) rated some of these albums like they're holy writ.
Even so why is that a reason to remove a CD from your collection? So if an album comes out that I like and the critics and fans begin to overrate the album THAT means I shouldn't have it in my collection?

Basically all he did was pick out a bunch of albums and make silly remarks about them. You could do that with every album ever released. The writer of that list could send me a list of "100 albums you should definately have in your collection" and I could sit and write silly remarks about those too.

I'm not angry about the list and I'm not defending the albums (as I said I only own 14 of the 100) I would never own most of them. I just don't find that kind of humor funny.

"The Who - Tommy
A couple of decent songs wrapped around a lot of filler. You know, there was a time when big operatic themes and bombast were pretty cool. That time was last century."

which was exactly when the album was recorded and released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.