One Hundred Albums You Should Remove from Your Collection Immediately

Discussion in 'Music' started by Steve Owen, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

Someone sent me this and I thought it would be a great dicussion point here. It's a wicked funny article, even when he's dissing albums that I truly love...
    http://www.jaguaro.org/feature/03-09-02_wesk.shtml
    At best, Nevermind is an overrated Pixies tribute album...
    Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves: Don't let the mohawks and combat boots fool you, kids * these chumps are the Black Crowes of "punk"
    [​IMG]
    -Steve

2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

83. Grateful Dead - ALL RECORDINGS
    One of my favorite bumper stickers reads, "Jerry's dead, The Grateful Dead suck, get a life." When clean and sober individuals with a sense of pitch listen to any Dead recording, they will be immediately struck by the fact that everyone in the band plays out of tune. Unless you're still dropping acid weekly and pulling out your remastered copies of Workingman's Dead and American Beauty while you're tripping, it's time you heeded the words of my favorite bumper sticker.
    Sorry Heads, I've been saying this for years! [​IMG]

3. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh, wait, here's the funniest thing I've ever read:

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Oh good! I get to keep my Debbie Gibson, Barry Manilow, and Tiffany albums....

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Hilarious list (I'm keeping Bitches Brew tho!)

What about a list of the weakest music in relation to the most over-produced video. (Video killed the radio star, the frigging lyrics, [fill in the blanks])

I love the one hit wonders - Taco, and Trio that did DADADA, at least they fffffade away fast.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Though I disagreed with about five or six of these selections, I had a blast reading this. The guy can write.

9. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I think his opinions are crap (on the select few I read)
    I dissagree with Dave Brubeck, Miles, and trane, the ones I didn't read I thought were crap anyway so the author is correct there.

Marc

10. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Oh c'mon guys! Even though we all will disagree with some of the selections, lighten up, it's a pretty funny essay!

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    -------------------------
    Cat Stevens - Footsteps in the Dark
    How many times do you have to watch Harold and Maude before you get the not-so-deep message? This album makes me happy he converted.
    [​IMG]
    ---------------------------------------------
    Very funny article, I own 75% of those albums....color me pretentious.
    Mild exaggeration...actually 37%

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I have 35% of the albums on the list and only agreed on a couple of them (though I refrained from reading the reasons as my blood pressure is high enough). Let me know when they post the 100 albums to add to your collection. I'm curious if I have some of them too.

14. CarlP

CarlP Agent

I have many of these one hundred titles...

Very VERY funny reading though. The man has some good points. Not for people who take life too seriously.

NP(changer):
    U2 Joshua Tree
    Miles Davis disc 2 Complete Bitches Brew Sessions
    U2 Zooropa (so innovative)
    The Police Synchonicity
    Rush Moving Pictures (The Camera Eye rocks!)

15. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

OK, I really liked this list...even though the Dead being on it kind of pissed me off. But this one just had me rolling:

No Doubt "Ska? No, not ska. Pop. Feminist? No, not feminist. Victimist. Blonde? No, not blonde. Bleach. Good? No, not good. Bad.

16. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

"When clean and sober individuals with a sense of pitch listen to any Dead recording, they will be immediately struck by the fact that everyone in the band plays out of tune".
    Al - your joking, right? I mean if you hate them this much how many live shows did you attend to make such a bs assessment. Yes, often they had their bad nights, and when bad, it could be really bad. But when good, and there is lots and lots, it was REALLY good. Just check out 2 DVD's "Downhill from Here" - (China Cat Sunflower>I Know you Rider - and tell me how this is out of tune). Another is "Ticket to New Year" (Uncle Johns Band>Lady with a Fan), and on CD "Dozing at the Nick".
    [​IMG]

17. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Rush - Moving Pictures
    If it looks like prog rock and smells like prog rock, it's prog rock. This is not, I repeat, NOT a viable alternative to Yes, E.L.P., and all the other wankers from that bloated 70s scene. Is there anything more grating than Geddy Lee's shrill vocals? Add the smug instrumental chops, and you've got an unfortunate cultural phenomenon that still seems to be going strong

18. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>INXS - Listen Like Thieves
    Michael Hutchence and his mates were basically in the same tier of rock music as Mr. Mister and the Hooters, except with a very dangerous edge. While this album can have a black hole-like nostalgic pull, I urge you to listen to it with friends. After the initial nods of recognition at "What You Need" and "Listen Like Thieves" pass, requests for another selection will rightly follow. Sweep aside fond memories -- INXS is acknowledged by the State of California to be associated with cancer in lab rats.

19. David S

"pulling out your remastered copies of Workingman's Dead and American Beauty"
    And I guess they somehow remastered these so they were "playing in tune"??? Is this even possible?
    "One of my favorite bumper stickers reads, "Jerry's dead, The Grateful Dead suck, get a life"
    Yea really classy. You know, people like you really should just stay out of it. You don't like the band/so go listen to your Madonna, or whatever other crap you like, but posting this here/ on the day Jerry died really is classless. Go crall back into that hole you call home [​IMG]

20. David S

My apologies to Al - just followed the link and realize this was that losers quote. Al seemed to be taking credit for it. Sorry Al , just sensitive to those who still semm to relish the fact Jerry died.