What's new

One Hundred Albums You Should Remove from Your Collection Immediately (1 Viewer)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Since music is such a subjective art from, existing only in the space between the two ears of the person who chooses to listen, why should I care what anyone else thinks about the music I enjoy?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
many of my friends like the dead but most of them admit; they suck if they aren't REALLY screwed up while listeneing to them(so what do they sound like when you aren't trippin....Oh they suck)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
That's frickin' hilarious! It seems I've been successful in my continuing attempt to avoid trends. Here's what I have(and since I rarely get rid of anything, this is all I've ever had):
2. U2 - The Joshua Tree
Overrated, yes, but not entirely worthless. The first three tracks are good(if completely played out) and there's my personal favorite, In God's Country(can't hear it without thinking about Three Kings)...
46. Helmet - Meantime
I can listen to Unsung an unlimited number of times, but the rest of the album struck me as being heavy without any attempt to be musical. This is definitely one I wasn't expecting to see on that list. I can't believe anyone actually remembered it. Was it ever popular???
62. Green Day - Dookie
Loaned this to a friend of mine awhile back and never bothered to retrieve it. Some awesome bass lines, though...
80. REM - Out Of Time
One of the first CDs I bought, over a decade ago, and it's not going anywhere! I like every song on this album, even the overplayed ones, but my personal favorites are Near Wild Heaven and Texarkana. I could never live without those two...

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I could laugh this guy off as just another brainless, self-important music critic (you know, like everyone who writes for Spin and Rolling Stone) until he started dissing Kool Keith at #100. Instead, he's pissed me off. However, he can make up for it if he includes Dr. Octagon and anything by Wesley Willis on his must-own list.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
OK, rant on.

Here's what sucks about pop music critics in general and this guy in particular. They don't have to have any brains, know anything about music, or back anything up. All they have to have is a point of view, an attitude, and a reasonable command of English. His dismissal of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as almost destroying rock is a perfect example--how many thousands of artists this chump loves owe much of their musical vision to the more experimental elements of this record? Look at it another way: In 100 years, how many people are going to be listening to Sgt. Pepper, which he hates, and how many will be listening to Dr. Octagon, which he likes?

Yes, of course the article is funny in places. But it's so mean-spirited and devoid of any merit (save the author's own jazz-like masturbation) that I feel like the time I spent reading it was minutes of my life I want back.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Easy guys. I didn't (don't) like the Dead. They never did anything for me and never will - my opinion.
As far as Jerry G. I don't relish in the fact that he's dead. Gimme a break - he was a guitar player in a rock & roll band - not a terrorist, or even worse a Republican (laugh guys :D). So why would I hate him?
"Does anbody remember laughter?" - Robert Plant.....
NP - "Ella & Louis"............Beautiful Music! :emoji_thumbsup:

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
That was great!!! I was laughing the whole time I was reading it and I now have to go throw several CD's away but for the most part I agree with him.

Doug

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I don't mean this in any sort of negative way...don't you think you're taking this persons opinion just a little too seriously?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
this guy seemed to have a little anger, dont you think? unless its all for show. he kept mentioning 'f*cking dorm rooms' i wonder what college he went to? of course i disagreed with a few of his choices, who didnt? at least he likes dr octagon. when you get mad at reading that, just think, who is he? just some moron who writes reviews for a website. i feel better.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Wow, I'm stunned at how seriously some of you are taking this list. I read some discussion lists about bands I like, and some albums from those artists have made it on the list. And it's funny to read how offended the "die hard" fans get. But I figured that the folks here would see though it and get a kick out of it... even when its about bands/albums they like.

Anyway, I'm the proud owner of 47 of the CDs on that list. A lot of them that I love dearly. His writing, I believe, is firmly tounge-in-cheek. Really.

-Steve

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I could laugh this guy off as just another brainless, self-important music critic (you know, like everyone who writes for Spin and Rolling Stone) until he started dissing Kool Keith at #100.
I was surpised to see Kool Keith at #100 as well. Black Elvis/Lost in Space is a decent album, certainly better than Keith's latest. (Spankmaster.) I would agree that Keith's best work has been done with other people producing, like Dan the Automator or Kutmasta Kurt.

I own 15 CD's on the list, but the one that surprised me the most was Fugazi: 13 Songs. I don't think it's possible to discredit Ian MacKaye.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
he kept mentioning 'f*cking dorm rooms' i wonder what college he went to?
Quite possibly the same one I went to because I kept laughing out loud at those comments about the music coming out of dorm rooms and frat clones - he nailed them every time.

Reformed frat clone

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's a humourous list for sure, a fun read. It makes me wanna make a list of 100 albums that ought to be on CD or SACD so that 2-day's modern auuuh go-go music listener that doesn't have a record player could buy them. A whole lot of intresting stuff is out of print.
Another good idea for a list would be records and CD's that should be burned:crazy: ! Shooting them with a shotgun would be appropriate too, I suppose. Recordings by "artists" like the following list should qualify.
Rupaul
Backstreet Boys
Bosson
The New Kids Who Can't Rock

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Man, that list was just too funny!
If you take that list seriously,though....I don't know why you would...

My initial thought of that list,though, is where the heck is the Starland Vocal Group? (well, at least I think that's what they were called)...

Calvin

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Cool. I only have to get rid of 7 CD's. Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Offspring, RHCP, and The Cult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.