What's new

Once Upon a Time in Italy - The Spaghetti Western Collection (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think this has been posted before...

February 10 2004, Anchor Bay will package five of their exisiting spaghetti western titles into one box titled Once Upon a Time in Italy - The Spaghetti Western Collection, it works out at $51.99 plus p&p from dvdpacific here . Ideal if you don't already own these:

- A Bullet For The General
- Companeros
- Four Of the Apocalypse
- Keoma
- Texas Adios

I wonder if AB is about to lose their licences with these, much as with many of the Hammer titles? I do wish they'd fix the 'In the Future' pages on their website!

---
So many films, so little time...

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I bought the box set and I have to say it's one of the very best I've seen. I simply must recommend this to every film buff out there.

First off, remember that these films were not necessarily protected since their release in the 70's. The transfer quality for each film is usually pretty good, but don't expect major studio quality restorations. It appears that every film here (as well as Blue Underground's "Spaghetti Western Collection") has been supervised by Bill Lustig and his people. All the supplements have definitely been provided by BU (their copyrights are included) and when there are some available, they're pretty good.

The packaging is very nice and instead of a direct reproduction of the single case releases, you have those nice small plastic slip cases that we've seen lately in Anchor Bay's "Herzog/Kinski Collection" and Blue Underground's "Mondo Cane Collection". Inside each case is cover art that is designed specifically for the set. The covers all look like wanted posters, with a shot (from the film itself) of it's primary star. Inside the cases you'll find a chapter selection on the left side and the original theatrical release poster on the right side (under the DVD).

In terms of audio and film presentation, it appears that they've done their best to offer the complete and proper versions of each. Some of the later Westerns in the set come in English dub only, but it's alright because you can clearly see that most of the actors (English AND Italian) are speaking English. In some cases I've even noticed that the Italian dubs provided for English-speaking Spaghetti's are as way off as our dubs usually are for foreign languages. Just letting you know in case you're disappointed with not having an Italian audio track for each film.

For those who don't already know, original audio was not recorded when shooting on location in Spain or Italy, so all audio is done in post-production anyway. The "Texas Adios" DVD, for instance, provides both the original English dub (by terrible American actors over Italian ones) and the original with Franco Nero's real voice. In the case of "Companeros", the Italian audio is a must because about 10-15 minutes of extra footage has been restored to the English-language version of the film without Nero or Thomas Milian's English dubs. So whenever it cuts to a newly restored scene or sequence, it reverts to Italian with English subtitles. Those of you who might lose patience with this feature can just opt for the Italian track with subtitles throughout.

I'm almost completely finished with the set, with only Damiano Damiani's "A Bullet for the General" left to go. I hear it's one of the best non-Leone Spaghetti's ever produced, which I have no doubt as Leone later hired Damiani to shoot his production of "A Genius". Otherwise, "Texas, Adios" has been the only real disappointment. It's a curiosity for the Franco Nero completist only. "Four of the Apocalypse" (perhaps Lucio Fulci's best film), "Keoma" (a masterpiece), and "Companeros" (ARRRGH, what a fun movie) are all terrific films that are more than worth your time.

It's a bit late so my writing is not as clear and concise as it should be, but if anyone has anymore questions about the set, I'll keep poking by to answer them. I've already convinced two of my friends to pick this set up. Also, if you enjoy it... get the newly marked down "Spaghetti Western Collection" from Blue Underground.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I liked all of these too with the exception of KEOMA. Couldn't stand watching it. I've heard it called a masterpiece in more than one place though.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for bringin up an old thread, but... Can anyone tell me if this box-set is out of print?

I'm considering picking it up today but it's srp is $83.92 CAN and I'm assuming that's related to it's existing status much like the Blue Underground set which is becoming very difficult to find in retail...

Can anyone confirm this for me, I really don't want to pay so much w/out being certain that this will be taken out of circulation for good, which would really be my only incentive to dip for it today.

Thanks.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Cees... but $59 U.S. comes to $80 CAN after currency conversion, not accounting for postage costs and the fact that it's so much more convenient to just pick this up retail. If I were to save significantly, than I'd consider, but I always like to buy my box-sets at local distributors because I hate recieving damaged or banged up sets with bent corners and floaters, etc. In this case, it would prove more expensive to order online... but I assume the price is relative to it's production status - Do you know if this is still in print?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks