What's new

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) (2 Viewers)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t have time right now to say much more then it was a good film. Too long though and too much dirty bare feet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, the hair on the armpits of Pussycat. That's Andie MacDowell's daughter playing Pussycat in the film.

Period accurate for hippies.

That and the dirty feet helped to desexualize her for me. Before that I thought she looked very sexy and did NOT think she was underage. Not sure if the RL one would have been.

I just got out of it and liked it very much. I thought the ranch scene was going to go off the rails. I liked it and wondered how accurate the end could be. It is exactly Basterds accurate :$

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
What’s the current definitive book on all the Manson stuff, still Helier Skelter? That was the book made into the movie, right?

IMO, yes, “Helter Skelter” is still the definitive book.

And it was made into 2 separate TV movies that complement each other very well: The 2-parter from 1976 with Steve Railsback as Manson that covers the investigation and trial, and the one from 2004 with Jeremy Davis, who eerily channels Manson, which mostly details the lead up the murders, the murders and the aftermath up until Linda Kasabian turned state’s evidence. So if you get a chance to see both, watch the newer one first, as it makes a nice prequel to the older one. Both are on dvd.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'll be very interested in reading comments about this film. I thought it was pretty good, but think it's a little too long for me. Great performances though as the two lead actors were excellent.

This is basically my thought.
It wasn’t a quick 2 hrs and 40 minutes for us.
I was fine until about 2 hours in but I started to wonder where this was headed because it didn’t seem to have a direction.

I love a good big budget movie like Avengers and Spiderman but it’s good to see a movie like this once in awhile. I like watching characters develope and have time to breath but this one breathed a little too long.
With that there really isn’t much I would like to remove.
If anything almost all of the Ranch stuff.
Maybe drop off pussycat and then get out of there. Scene in the house had no payoff.

I was cracking up during the climax of the film and in my movie audience, I wasn't the only one laughing out loud.

I didn’t laugh during all of that. I cringed a lot. I generally don’t look away but I looked away a few times during that.
I didn’t laugh but maybe I cheered to myself when the flamethrower appeared.
Otherwise I don’t see how any of that was literally laugh out loud funny.

To be clear, I'm not a big QT fan either. I have enjoyed some of this movies while not enjoying some others as much. Frankly, I'm surprise the violence in this movie is as tame as it was because I expected a lot more of it based on his previous films. Another favorite bit for me
was the Bruce Lee sequence. I was laughing hysterical during the entire sequence. The actor playing Lee had his speech patterns and mannerisms down to a T.

The Bruce Lee stuff was a riot but it reminded my a great deal of the movie within a movie “A Fist Full of Yen” with Evan Kim as Loo.
Also let’s not forget that this entire sequence was just a memory from Cliff. So it might not have happened exactly as we saw it.
Like most QT films, always overlong in spots. Not sure the build-up was worth the pay-off, though it was fun to watch.

Glad I saw it with A-List.

It weirds me out how much Brad Pitt is turning into Robert Redford on-screen nowadays. His character so anchored the film, even with the detours and round-abouts. His scenes were more interesting and entertaining than Leo's character's scenes.

Pitt channeled Redford a long time ago in ARi we Runs Through.
Other then that and this movie not much else.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

That’s been a point of discussion in several articles about Lee’s family being upset at the depiction of him in the film. When Lee’s sister said that she doubted Tarantino was really a fan of her brother’s after his depiction in the film, some writers pointed out that the scene could be interpreted as how Cliff remembers the encounter.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That entire Bruce lee sequence was a memory flashback that we saw from cliff’s point of view that he was thinking about while up on the roof.
After we returned to cliff on the roof he said, “fair enough” meaning. Yeh I should probably have been kicked off the set.

So the scene was a flashback memory of cliff. “unreliable narrator”

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not only that, do any of you guys remember how cars were made back then? They were built like tanks compared to today's standards and didn't dent as easily as today's vehicles. Anybody get thrown into a car from that era and did such damage to such a car, he ain't walking away so easily.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
For Brad Pitt's character....

Are we supposed to think that he murdered his wife? Or is there ambiguity about that? He's on that ship with what looks like a spear gun? They were arguing and maybe it went off by accident and she fell overboard?

Kind of what I assumed

WillG

Senior HTF Member
My wish for the blu-ray is that we get an expanded cut of the film. I don't need 4 hours, but if the scenes that are cut are strong enough I would gladly take 3 hours—or even a bit more.

If TH8 taught me anything, you will never get a QT alternate cut, even if said alt cut did appear in theaters,
(Ok in fairness, Netflix does have some weird episodic alt cut of TH8, but it’s not what anyone wanted.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks